Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Disk In Drive D Is Not Formatted...

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 FRISC0

FRISC0

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

I realised today that my D Drive isn't working and when i try to open it, it says:

"The disk in drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

This has happend on my removable disk also :thumbsup: random or what?!

anyway, i looked around the web for soem answers and came accross a programme thats suppose to fix this problem. It's called 'TestDisk'.

Now, i'm abit of a noob at this stuff. Thats why im asking for help therefore dont want to go and do this then mess up my computer (AGAIN!)

heres the site to it: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

What im asking is:
Is this safe?
Will it work?
Is there a better way of fixing this?

I just want my files back!

PLEASE HELP ME!

FRISC0
xxxx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:02 PM

What kind of drive is this? A Hard drive? Please list the make and model of the drive. If you don't have this information you can use SIW. Look under Storage Devices in the Hardware section.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

sorry for double posting :thumbsup:

Edited by FRISC0, 27 February 2008 - 09:30 AM.

#4 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

I don't know which ones which but I have C drive (which has all my documents on), D dive (which has recovery stuff on) & a removable drive which also wont work. Also my CD drive isn't working at the moment (turns computer off when CD inserted, could this relate to the problem?)

Here are the screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

Assuming D is the external usb, check it on another computer

what make model is your computer?

have you added anything to your computer that would have overloaded the power supply?

you have cleaned out the inside of the case and all fans?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 FRISC0

FRISC0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

Assuming D is the external usb, check it on another computer
I have C, D and F. F i plug in (160GB) and d is like.. an extra one that i dont use. my brother said 'thats got ur recovery stuff on it, just leave it as it is'.

what make model is your computer?

I think this is right:
----------
----------
System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service pack 2
--
Manufactured and supported by:
Compaq
Presario
Intel®
Celeron® CPU 2.70GHz
2.80 GHz, 248 MD of RAM
----------
----------

have you added anything to your computer that would have overloaded the power supply?
nothing at all! Only big thing i plug into the computer is the removable hard drive (160GB) and that's never given me any problems before.

you have cleaned out the inside of the case and all fans?
No, but last time i opened it (other day) there was loads of dust! I don't know how toclean in properly or what to clean it with because I might break something. Like.. i was thinking a tissue could break something really fradgile, like one of those little circuit things on the motherboard and what not! :flowers:
If you tell me how i can clean the fans and computer properly i'll do it. I dont wanna break it!!
Thanks.
:thumbsup:

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

It may be too late but all that dust is pulling the voltages down that are available from the power supply? The usb devices need power to work(5v), they are often the first items to have issues.

It's safest to blow the dust out, without actually touching anything, you can always recheck connections after you get it clean.

I find it better to take the computer out on a porch. Use whatever is handy and works. Canned air is expensive.
Chewy

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER FROM THE POWER SOURCE, open the case, and blow out the dust. Do not wipe it with a rag; use either your breath or an aerosol can of compressed air. Also, DO NOT block the vents from your tower or the moniter.You can also use a vacuum cleaner with the hose on the blower if you have one, but whichever method you use, DO NOT LET ANYTHING ACTUALLY TOUCH THE CABLES, MOTHERBOARD, ETC. Free airflow is a must to keep a computer from heating up.
You can also use an air compressor if you have one. Hook up the hose, and let it blow out the dust.

Canned air will work. The cost depends on where you purchase it from. I've found that Office Depot, Office Max, and stores similar charge more for it than Wal Mart.

Your brother is correct. The D drive does contain system recovery, which is used if you need to format your computer. The recovery contains the operating system, drivers, and programs that came on the computer when it was purchased. It isn't an actual 2nd hard drive. It's actually a seperate partition on the drive, but needs it's own drive letter. Your brother is also correct when he says to leave D alone.
If your D drive is not formatted, I'm wondering if the system recovery has been wiped out.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 February 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

Cleaning the PC interior tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

I was under the impression that most "Recovery Partitions" were crafted in such a way that Windows won't recognize/access them under normal circumstances. I could be wrong, though.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

I was under the impression that most "Recovery Partitions" were crafted in such a way that Windows won't recognize/access them under normal circumstances. I could be wrong, though.

You're correct. I'm finding this out as I go with a Dell laptop recovery. I gave up and ordered the Disks
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

I missed the D partition part, disk management should show something, my computer shows the recovery partitions on a lot of these but they should be locked

I thought most took a bios command like F12 to start the recovery from a dos eisa partition and then it's pretty much automatic from there(clean reinstall)
Chewy

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

I missed the D partition part, disk management should show something, my computer shows the recovery partitions on a lot of these but they should be locked

I thought most took a bios command like F12 to start the recovery from a dos eisa partition and then it's pretty much automatic from there(clean reinstall)

On Dell, F12 changes boot order or runs Dell Diagnostics. The Alt and F11 keys are supposed to launch the restore function, though not always:
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm
Early partitions were DOS newer ones are WinPE
Mark
Posted Image

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

On Dell, F12 changes boot order or runs Dell Diagnostics. The Alt and F11 keys are supposed to launch the restore function, though not always:
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm
Early partitions were DOS newer ones are WinPE

I can see why you ordered the disks after reading that, :thumbsup:
Chewy

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

A question to FRISCO. Did you ever fix your other problem where you were hearing what sounded like sparking? It's probably all related
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users