Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wu's Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 katzmemo

katzmemo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

I used the XP SP2 disk to try and fix glitches. Now windows updates won't install because it says I am missing eleven dll files, two exe. files and one sys file.

I looked on the Windows KB and found a way to put the wups2.dll back in but when I try to use DOS to reinstall the other missing files it tells me I have the wrong path.

Can someone tell how to fix this so I can do the updates?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Post the message you get...verbatim, please.

Louis

#3 katzmemo

katzmemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

C:\Windows32\system32\winsv.dll was loaded but the DLLRegistryServer entry point was not found. The file could not be registered.

I'm logging off for tonight I will check back for a reply tomorrow after work and I really appreciate your reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

<<C:\Windows32\system32\winsv.dll was loaded but the DLLRegistryServer entry point was not found. The file could not be registered.>>

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873:

Dllname was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer or DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found.

Dllname may not be exported, or a corrupted version of Dllname may be in memory. Consider using Pview to detect the file and remove it.

From what I can see, winsv.dll is not a valid Windows file, while winsrv is a valid file. Are you sure about the spelling?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2008 - 06:03 PM.

#5 katzmemo

katzmemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

You are correct I did not type the "r".

The link to the KB would not work so I went into MS.com. First I looked at the WU's that wouldn't update because of the files that were suppose to be missing. Nothing looked important enough to bother with so I got rid of them. Then there was one hardware update which was for the printer. The printer worked after I used the XP disk but it had said that it wasn't installed and it would not scan last night. I manually installed the printer update and it was fine. I will try and scan later.

Then I found the KB that you had referred me to and it was over my head and I don't want to be doing too much to the registry if I don't have to.

Perhaps MS sending 81 updates at one time was too over whelming for this aging machine. I guess I will have to review updates in the future because an XP doesn't need VISTA updates.

I think I still may have one issue which is that Outlook Express keeps stopping before it downloads all the mail saying my server unexpectedly terminated the connection and down in the corner the computers are blinking back and forth. So I don't know what that is but I have been deleting mail off the server before I bring in the stuff I want and while it is a bother, it isn't that big of a deal. I'll maybe do something about that when I have more time.

For now I will have to wait until more updates are available to see if I still get missing dll errors.

Thank you for trying to help. If you think that there is something else I should do I will check back to see if you posted anything else after Thursday. If not thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users