Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To My External Hdd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewGS

AndrewGS

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

I got a new laptop (HP dv6700t running Vista Home Premium) that I need to hook my external HDD (500GB WD in generic case) to via USB. Windows Explorer freezes and the external HDD activity light constanly runs as soon as it's plugged in and it unfreezes as soon as it's unplugged.

I deleted "INFCACHE.1" from "C:\\Windows\INF" at the instruction of a blog and it worked for a few minutes, but it froze during the transfer of a few movies and hasn't worked since.

All help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

Have you tried this same external drive in another system? With the same Operating System (XP or Vista).

It would help to know if this is a problem with your computer or the external drive.

DR

#3 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

I got a same problem with WD external HD back then but when I removed the casing and checked out if cables are properly installed, it worked!

You can also try the Manage option in the context menu when you right click My Computer, go to disk management and look there if your external HD is recognize but doesn't have a drive letter, then you have to assign a drive letter or you can set your external HD as a folder.

#4 AndrewGS

AndrewGS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

Have you tried this same external drive in another system? With the same Operating System (XP or Vista).

It would help to know if this is a problem with your computer or the external drive.

DR

I got a same problem with WD external HD back then but when I removed the casing and checked out if cables are properly installed, it worked!

You can also try the Manage option in the context menu when you right click My Computer, go to disk management and look there if your external HD is recognize but doesn't have a drive letter, then you have to assign a drive letter or you can set your external HD as a folder.

The drive works fine on my XP machine using the eSATA port.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:06 PM

try the usb connection in the computer with esata

might be a bad circuit in the case

and a different usb cable?

Edited by DaChew, 26 February 2008 - 08:07 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

A similar thing used to happen with me when I used an enclosure...later I realized that chkdsk was running on the external drive when that light was on...and when chkdsk was running on the external, it seemed to impair functioning of the system.

So I would then just connect the drive itself via an IDE cable and run chkdsk /r on it in the background. Once that was done, I would put it back in the enclosure and it would be good to go.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2008 - 09:16 PM.

#7 AndrewGS

AndrewGS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the help, but I think I'm going to just get a 4GB flash drive and transfer files that way. I was looking at the XP-Vista USB data cables and wondering to myself why Microsoft would not make Vista completely backwards compatible with XP. I think that is my problem because my external HDD has been used with an XP machine and now Vista wants to format it.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

I must be missing something...I thought we were talking about a drive with data that is in a USB enclosure.

The O/S being used has nothing to do with ability to read files which are on a drive properly formatted with NTFS or FAT32.

You are using NTFS on the external, right?

FWIW: If the file system on the external is FAT32, then that can be read by Vista. Vista cannot be installed on a drive with FAT32 as the file system.

Both Vista and XP can read external drives with either FAT or NTFS file systems, but only XP can be installed on a FAT file system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users