Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 talon461

talon461

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

How do I add unallocated disk space to an existing partition (boot)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:33 PM

You need a utility like Partition Magic...or you need to be preparing for a clean install.

My question is: Why do you want to increase the size of your C: partition?

It's reallybetter to just create another partition in the free space...and move data files from the C: partition.

How big is your current C:, how big is the entire hard drive?

Louis

#3 talon461

talon461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

My drive has 30gb of space. The company that set it up originally created a 7gb partition for the c drive and left the rest.
I created another partition from the remaining space and everything went well. With all of the programs they have asked us to add, the space is becoming limited. I backed up everything on the partition on an external hard drive and deleted the partition. It is now back to unallocated space. I can create the partition again.
I was not aware that i could move my files into the new partition. once done do I just reassign the drive letter?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

OK, I will clarify.

When you create the new C: partition, the O/S and all programs should (IMO) go on it. Programs do not have to be installed on the C: but I believe they work better when they are, since that's the basic scheme for the O/S and programs.

Data files (graphics, word files, text files, video files, audio files, pdf, etc.) have no business on the C: partition, in spite of the fact that anomalies like My Docs, My Music, My Videos are set up when Windows is installed.

IMO, ideal size for a partition with XP on it is 20GB. I have one that size on this system and I currently have 10.7GB free, with a pagefile of 2GB and no hiberfil.sys file and no System Restore running. The only program hog I have installed is Office. My system runs fine.

When you create partitions on a hard drive where there are none, you need to determine before you start...how many and how large. If I had only a 30GB hard drive, I would probably go 15/15 until I got a larger second drive.

Use the XP CD to create the partitions, once you decide what sizes you want.

Transfering files between two partitions on the same drive...will be somewhat slower than transferring files between partitions on different drives.

The basic reason I favor two partitions on the same drive (if necessary) is the fact that you have somewhat lessened your chance of being unable to access everything...if part of the hard drive or the file system (NTFS) goes awry.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users