Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Photos And Music

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lartomar2002

lartomar2002

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

i tried to rip and then burn a dvd. the burnt dvd did not play. a few days after this i noticed my photos and music were missing. i tried to open the photos with infanview i rec. message ' cannot read file header' 'unknown file formate or file not found'. i go to the properties of the file and it indicates the are 'X' amount KB's on the file and that the file is in archive. all the files, mp3,mpg,mpeg,avi, etc. do you think if i ran ' highjackthis' it might find the problem. i do not know how to read the 'highjackthis' results.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

Hi lartomar2002,

Sorry about your problem but this gave me a little chuckle when I read it

do you think if i ran ' highjackthis' it might find the problem.

I had to say "Well Duh!" when I read the last part of that sentence

i do not know how to read the 'highjackthis' results.

So I guess the short answer to your question would be 'Nope!'. Don't go messing around with that HJT program thingy cause it can wipe you out if you use it wrong. And don't go posting a HJT log in this forum or you'll get fussed at.

Try editing your post and put in what OS you're using and maybe the name of the program that you used to do that rip\burn with, maybe someone else with that same program has had a similar problem and can tell you which way to go.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

Generally, files have specific information in the first 128 bytes or so that allow them to be read; apparently this header information became corrupt, so it cannot be read by IrfanView (or probably any other application). In the case of jpegs, do they show as thumbnails if you view them as such in the original folder?
Wendy is correct in that knowing what burning application you used, and the exact steps you took, might help us to understand how these files became corrupted.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users