Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Firewall Settings Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

Guess what? My wife's computer has another problem outside my knowledge to fix(not uncommon). She can open her main Security Center window, but when she clicks on the "Windows Firewall" link to check her settings, she gets the following error message:

Due to an unidentified problem Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings

While looking through other posts, I saw that someone else had a Windows Firewall problem and was advised to use a different firewall altogether(Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6, or Zone Alarm). What are the pros and cons of using one of these instead of Windows Firewall?

Thanks in advance.

T--
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_cyclops2k5_*

Guest_cyclops2k5_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

I have had this problem before try this method http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

There are no cons to using a 3d-party firewall.

The XP firewall is adequate for many users...3d-party firewalls offer more options for users who want to tweak and be more informed, as well as providing the capability for monitoring outgoing attempts by a system. The Windows Firewall does not monitor such.

If a user isn't interested in the details provided by 3d-party firewalls...and isn't interested in having attempts to connect to the Internet (by her/his system) monitored...the XP firewall is fine.

Louis

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

Windows firewall "It only filters INCOMING traffic. That means if malware has compromised your PC, it is able to SEND OUT your credit card data, and all other personal info." (what Sunbelt has to say about the Windows firewall)

Your call-keep using Windows firewall or ditch it for a full program?

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hi spiritcloud,

There are no 'Cons', that I know of at least, to third party firewalls... just 'Pros', like several are free.

Take a look at these; http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ , and http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/cat.../comparison.jsp <-- if you want to go with this one make sure it's the free one.

I DO NOT, under any circumstances, recommend the 15 day free trial version of ZoneAlarm PRO to anybody, as I, personally, have had one BAD, BAD, BAD... system devastating experience with that.

That is, however, no reflection on their free firewall, which I think is grate and am using as we speak.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users