Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Format/ Install On Dell Poweredge 1950 Server

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 usman3206

usman3206

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi, i have got a DELL POWEREDGE 1950 Server with Linux Redhat installed on it. I want to upgrade it Windows Server/XP/Vista! But when i try to boot from windows CD it says no hard disk found, the setup cannot continue, (system has two 80GB hard disks installed). Kindly help me how can i format it and install operating system and which operating system is better, i like VISTA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usman3206

usman3206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:56 AM

Ok, i used DELL OPEN MANAGE UTILITY and installed Microsoft Windows Server 2003, but i want to install Windows XP or Windows Vista but since DELL utility doesn't have those operating systems in its list so i can't use anything out of that list. When i try direct installation the setup just can't find hard drive. Please guide me as to what can i do?

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:13 AM

Ok, i used DELL OPEN MANAGE UTILITY and installed Microsoft Windows Server 2003, but i want to install Windows XP or Windows Vista but since DELL utility doesn't have those operating systems in its list so i can't use anything out of that list. When i try direct installation the setup just can't find hard drive. Please guide me as to what can i do?

Hi, Im not sure what you are trying to do, you have installed server 2003 on the PC but where are you trying to install Vista ect?

Edited by Monty007, 27 February 2008 - 02:13 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#4 usman3206

usman3206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

I mean to say that i want to use my server as the normal desktop PC and want to install windows XP or Vista. I don't know how to do that. Pl help. Thanks

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

Windows server is a stand alone PC and other PCs connect to it in a domain environment, so the server handles most requests from a workstation PC. So in a small office you might have a server set up which handles all the requests from a PC including group policys, ip addressing, mail ect.
You canot install Server and install another OS on it, thats not what it does.
I will try to find some more info (but I have to go to work) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2003
MCP
MSDST

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

This site might be of help
http://blog.loaz.com/timwang/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 usman3206

usman3206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

I know its a server but for some reason i no longer intend to use it for that reason, i don't plan to connect any other PCs with it. i will be using it purely as a desktop computer, so want to install Micrososft XP Pro or even Vista. i worked something my way and have found out that its the hard disk drivers that are causing problem cause they are not available for this system so one solution would be to hit F6 during setup to install third party drivers thru floppy so the question is updated which hard disk drivers and from where (DELL?) and what about floppy, they are not even available in the market? Pl help

#8 ServerTech

ServerTech

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

I know its a server but for some reason i no longer intend to use it for that reason, i don't plan to connect any other PCs with it. i will be using it purely as a desktop computer, so want to install Micrososft XP Pro or even Vista. i worked something my way and have found out that its the hard disk drivers that are causing problem cause they are not available for this system so one solution would be to hit F6 during setup to install third party drivers thru floppy so the question is updated which hard disk drivers and from where (DELL?) and what about floppy, they are not even available in the market? Pl help

As this is a server, it's probably best to install a server version of Windows and use it as a desktop.  Otherwise, you will have to search for compatible drivers for the hardware on the server for Vista.

#9 northbayteky

northbayteky

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Have you checked on the Dell support site to get drivers compatible with your hardware and OS?

I recently had a similar experience. I had old hardware I needed to re-purpose. It was an old server with 2003 installed but I needed to upgrade it to server 2012 r2. Checking on the Dell site I was able to find that my hardware would be compatible with 2012 some firmware upgrades. Like you, I tried using the open manage disk, but I didn't have one that was compatible with both my hardware and my desired OS.

I was able to install the OS using the Windows install disk. If you have already gone this route and are still not able to install the OS of choice, I suggest calling Dell support with that Dell service tag. You can still get software support, advice really. But check the Dell site to see if your hardware and preferred OS are even compatible. They may not be.

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/1950_specs.pdf

only these os's are supported according to dell

Microsoft® Windows® Server™ 2003 R2, Standard, Enterprise & Web Editions, x64 R2;

Standard & Enterprise editions;

Red Hat® Linux® Enterprise v4, ES & WS EM64T, ES & WS;

SUSE® Linux® Enterprise Server 9 EM64T

#11 High_Technology

High_Technology

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

it's probably best to install a server version of Windows and use it as a desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users