Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Or Integrated?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dolcevito

dolcevito

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

I'm going to buy a new computer, used mostly for audio recording and music production. Multitrack audio is pretty intensive on resourses but it's not too taxing on graphics, do I need to buy a seperate video card? I'm wondering whether integrated motherboard video is robbing precious computing power that a seperate card would help with. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

With dual core cpu's and a couple of gigs of ram and even that bloated vista, onboard video shouldn't impact you significantly, be sure and get a computer that has the option to add a pci express card later, the lamer entry level ones leave that out.

I would stay away from the mini cases also?

What audio card are you going to use?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dolcevito

dolcevito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

Thanks a lot for the response, DaChew. Right now I've got a P4 Dell with XP and an Aardvark 24/96. Aardvark's out of business, but it sounds so great I hate to give it up. Only problem is Sonar 7 won't recognize the card, so how long can I go on using 2.2?

I'm seeing a lower end Dell with a Quad 66 for $500 or so, pretty good I thought. Of course I'd need a couple more drives and some ram, Newegg's pretty cheap on those. I'd like to build my own box, but the Dell's so inexpensive.

As far as cards, I'll try a few and keep the one that sounds best. Looking at the Emu1616m PCI, Mackie 400f, RME Fireface, or maybe an RME without a breakout box, and get a couple channels of nice tube pre.

What do you think?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

build your own box, does cakewalk support 4 threads?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 jojoyeee

jojoyeee

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:16 AM

I think that's quite a nice choice.

#6 dolcevito

dolcevito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the response, guys. Yeah, Cakewalk stays really up on things, 64 bit, Vista, quad core. I'd like to get current with it.

I really do want to take the plunge and build my own box, but when I add it up, It'll come out to near $1200. Of course I understand
that the components will be much better, quiet case, best motherboard, better power supply. Plus, when I upgrade again, it'll be really cheap, mobo and chip, that's all.

It's just the price on the Dells, 500 bucks for a Q6600 machine seems bordering on silly to me. My Dells have always just WORKED.

I'm sure there's tons I'm not taking into consideration, stuff I just don't understand. Plus, it'd be nice to know how to do it.
I'm sure I'd learn a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users