Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will 4 Gbs Be A Big Upgrade From 2 Gbs Of Ram?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sweryap

sweryap

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:19 AM

My set up is an Intel e2180 dual core processor, gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l motherboard, 7800 gtx gfx card, and 2GB G.skill ddr2 800 mhz memory. I have vista ultimate. I just put everything together and it works great right now, but the g.skill memory is only 45 bucks from Newegg so I am considering 2 more gigs. right now, my windows vista experience rating is held back by my ram...everything is well over 5 except the memory is 4.8 (although I guess these numbers don't really matter). do you guys think that 2 more gigs of RAM would be worth buying since they are so cheap?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

More RAM is always good, especially if you want to do graphics or to play games; it also improves the performance of office suites. If you are not unhappy with the current performance, then getting additional RAM is up to you.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:49 AM

hi,, vista 32bit only recognises 3gig of ram,,, 64it can take 4gig and up,,,, if you have 32bit it could be a waste of money,,, good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:37 AM

IME most newer 32 bit systems will run just fine with 4gB of RAM - but they'll only recognize around 3.26 gB of the RAM.
That being said, it seemed to improve performance on my systems - and it did increase the Vista score.

Also, I noted no significant performance increase using 4 gB between 32 bit and 64 bit OS's
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sweryap

sweryap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered it from newegg...I couldn't pass up good ram for 45 bucks (it has $40 off instantly right now). Hope it makes an improvement! I do have 64 bit by the way.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:25 AM

An interesting article on the RAM thing between 32 and 64 bit systems: http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/15/vista_workshop/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 sweryap

sweryap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

An interesting article on the RAM thing between 32 and 64 bit systems: http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/15/vista_workshop/

Thanks for the link, that was informative but it left me with a few questions. Am I going to need to adjust a lot of settings like they show you to take advantage of the 4 gigs of ram or is that only to take advantage of the full 8 gigs of ram?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

Well, it all depends on your motherboard and how it's setup to handle that much memory. Since it's a fairly new chipset, I wouldn't expect problems - but that's just a guess on my part.

The surest way to find it is to try it and see what happens. I've got a Core2Duo and an Intel 975x chipset that's running fine with 4 gB of RAM. And sitting on my desk is 8 gB just waiting to be installed - so we'll see what happens when I put it in!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

Well, the 8gb went in fine, and the system is working great - but Windows says that I don't have a processor or any memory :huh:

CPU-Z detects it all, so I'm not worried - but I'll need a bit of work to figger it out.

#10 sweryap

sweryap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

Did you get yours figured out usasma?

I got my other 2 gigs in for a total of 4 gigs and I notic the office suite opening up faster as well as everything just seeming a little quicker so I am pleased. It is weird though, the new memory didn't change the vista experience score for Ram calculations per second. I would have thought that would have gone up. Oh well, I would rather have my system run good than get a good score.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'm still fussing with mine (but it may give me an excuse to buy a new mobo and processor! :huh:

My opinion is that the benchmark/scores really don't mean a heck of a lot in the real world. What counts to me is how it feels - does it feel faster or peppier? If so, then that's good enough for me.

Benchmarking can be used to document issues - but I prefer not to get wrapped up in the numbers myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users