Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Confused! Any Advice?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CpuPMS

CpuPMS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:14 PM

Hello,
We are looking for a brand new system, and my hub and I are rookies! We are thinkin about those Dell Desktops, but I was wondering if it would be better to have an independent guy build it?

I figured I'd ask you all what the industry standards are for speed, dependablility, etc.
I get way too confused wading through the gigabytes, Rams, etc.

What really do we need to have a fast and efficient computer that won't bog down while surfing, or refuse to cooperate in secured sites, etc.

We've had a Sony Vaio for the last 6 years or so, It's been very moody and difficult, but I wonder if we messed it up somehow. I get a "fatal exception" shutdown every 10-15 minutes or so, and I've gotten used to re-booting the computer each time.

When I pay bills, I have to shut down the computer and restart after each and every one, because it can't cope with more that one......it freezes, then says I made a fatal error....or something like that. :thumbsup:

Thanks for listening, I welcome and plead for any and all input you're willing to share!!!

Also, if we do get a new system, I'd like to know how not to screw it up like we did this one (I think!)

Thank you so much!, CpuPMS!!! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:09 PM

Whats your budget? Once i know that I can help you more.

One thing to consider when purchasing computers is when you buy from a large manufacturer you have the advantages of 24x7 support and large corporation to backup problems with parts etc.

On the other hand, you may get a better price from an independent guy, but the support may not be there when you need it.

#3 CpuPMS

CpuPMS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:30 PM

Hi! Thanks for your response!

As for our budget.....we were originally going to get one of the promotional ones at Dell (online) for about $600, but then when we start punching in the "add-ons".........we ran the estimate up to about $1200! Which we can, if its worth it and it will last another 5 years...??!!

What I personally want...is one that is fast and efficient (who doesn't I guess?!), not one that is as inconsistent as DMV Employees... :thumbsup:

For example.....all those times I have to shut down and restart.....when I look at the CNTRL-ALT-DEL programs running menu........it will have different programs each time I restart........rundll.....runapp.....exec.....systray, etc. etc.
Sometimes one will be there....not the others.........sometimes they all will be there.....even duplicates!!!! WHATTTTTTTT UPPPPPPP with that????

Have you ever heard of that before? And has anyone gotten as extensive a "criminal surfing record" as I have with the "fatal exceptions and illegal operations??"

Thanks for answering, and I'll look forward to whatever you have from the peanut gallery! :flowers:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

I perfer Dell but everyone has an opinion . There are plenty of bells and whisle to buy but be sure you focus on the top 3 ( IMHO ) . Processor , the faster the better . Memory , the more the better . Windows XP Pro . I'm sure I will raise an eye brow or 2 but on a budget I would select these first . The other things Like DVD-RWs , printers , hard drive , etc.... are easily upgrade or added on at a later date . I did not include the video card because you did not mention gaming or video editing . A video card is easy enough to install/upgrade later .
If you are moving up to a new computer because the one you have is buggie , try letting this fourm help you . We may be able to help , atleast til you get your new computer .
God Luck.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:44 PM

I like dell as well. This is what I would get :

P4 processor of at least 3 ghz
1 GB of ram
XP Home
160GB Serial ATA
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW Drive
3.5 in Floppy Drive
Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (If you plan on using this for games upgrade to 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800)
Digital Music - 30 Watt Stereo Spks w/Subwoofer, Sound Blaster Live! Microsoft Office Basic - Includes Outlook, Word, Excel
Dell Quietkey® Keyboard
Dell 2-button scroll mouse
No security subscription..stuff for free thats better
FREE UPGRADE! 15 in (15.0 in viewable) E153FP Analog Flat Panel

Came out to 1167 on dells site

#6 CpuPMS

CpuPMS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:59 PM

WOW!!! Thank you both so much! I can tell I'm going to be a regular on this site forever!

I'm printing the whole discussion to show my hub, and I'll see if he has any questions himself to post.

And yes, I'll be glad to tell you both the specifics of the computer we have now, maybe it isn't ready for the graveyard yet....

I'll check back tomorrow with a fresh head, and I'll connect with you then,
Thanks again both of you, too! I'm impressed with this site already and I appreciate your help and input so much

Sincerely, CpuPMS :thumbsup:

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:23 AM

Sure go ahead and let us know your current system. We may be able to clean it up a bit for you to make it work better

#8 Jamfrequency1

Jamfrequency1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:18 AM

Sounds like a heat problem to me. I used to get the same thing happening to me until I removed my side panel. It now sits next to the computer as a paper weight until I get the money to mount a another fan in the panel. Mine is custom built opposed to yours. It seems like a reputable company like Sony though would have that taken care of. It's also possible your older computer may have a low RAM count as well as old technology to run your op. syst. and other programs at the same time. An average system nowadays would probably run well with 512 RAM and even that is somewhat small for the new 64-bit op. syst.'s and newer programs. If you do buy a new syt. make sure it 's the new DDR technolgy of RAM as opposed to older SDRAM chips. If you have a motherboard utility that can check fan speeds and temperatures you should open it to see how hot the motherboard and processor are running at. Heat is the major problem slowing a system down probably even more so than processor speed and amount of RAM installed. Every system I've had has always had aproblem until I put the computer in an air conditioned room or added extra fans. Also make sure you don't have useless and unneccesary programs opening at statrup. That can waste a valuable amount of RAM on system without much too work with in the first place making it impossible to run more than one progarm at a time as well the internet software application.

#9 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:11 PM

I do not wish to contradict anyone else's advice to you. But consider the following facts ( all learned the hard way by yours trully ). Only considering the amount of RAM and the speed of the processor in making up your mind on what type of computer to buy is faulty. The single most important factor in how well and stable your computer is going to perform is the Motherboard. Next in importance is the size and quality of the power supply. The case is the next most important. Why ?

Motherboard - This is what actually is your computer. Everything else just determines how much can be stored and at what speed. A poorly designed motherboard will result in a bad computer regardless of the quality of the rest of the components. No way no how is a 43.00 motherboard going to outperform a 93.00 motherboard. Brand names are very important here Asus , Abit , Gigabyte just to name a few.

Power Supply - Must be quality enough to to convert AC 110 V to the DC voltages
that the computer uses to bias all of its chip sets. An underpowered
system is prone to many problems. Power supplies must deliver
a clean , smooth and even DC voltage to accomplish this. Cheaper
power supplies deliver what electrical engineers call " dirty "power.
That is a DC voltage with contains lots of spikes , surges and it
drives our computers nuts. The average user will usually chalk it
to buggy software.
Tower Case - They do not build Cadillacs on Yugo frames for a reason. HEAT is
the single most enemy of all solid state devices. The faster your
computer runs the more heat it creates. If you stuff in to a micro
sized tower you are asking for trouble. Plenty of air space and
proper air flow thru your case is vital. When building a computer
I will not use anything smaller than an ATX mid-tower.
This is why a custom made machine is way better than any large manufacturer. Dell , Gateway , HP etc. components are made by the lowest bidder designing to that particular specifications. If you do not have a local PC independent shop that has an excellent reputation then you are almost stuck with a major manufacturer. Usually a little research will reveal a reputable PC shop within reasonable driving distance. If he mentions the same three things I listed as being very important. I can almost guarantee a good PC can be built by him. Ask to see a PC built in his shop and do not be afraid to ask for references from some of his customers. If he is willing to provide a few the bet becomes a sure thing. Computer repair shops spring up almost like dandelions in the spring. The unreputable usually do not last more than two years. Nuff said
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:44 PM

What you say has truth , but the way you will be using a computer also determines which coomponants you select . I have not built a computer for myself in 4 years , but I don't need the advantage a custom machine will provide . I have 12 computers in my home , 6 of which are used daily by the kids , wife , and myself . They are all Dell GX1s (1999) . I have them amped up to 512m ram , a 1.3 Celeron(via Powerleap) running XP . I paid less than $20 per computer and upgrade them over two years . They have been running 7 days a week without a problem (except for two case fans replace ) . I do not wish to be disrespectful but the whole picture must be viewed . If the person has $5k to spend I would recommend going custom . If the person has three hundred dollars a used computer with upgrades maybe a better choice . Since the person we are tring to help can only make this choice we should express what we know and hope the infomation makes the job a little easier . I hope I did not step on anyone's toes . that was not my intention . Just sharing information , neither good nor bad .

acklan

#11 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:25 PM

No offense taken but a real decent custom machine can be built from 750 to 1400
dollars. You yourself may have built more computers than myself. I should be nearing @ 500. Everything from a Pentium Pro to the latest 64 bit Athlon . Users are normally biased with whatever brand they are most familiar with. I very seldom build one that is very expensive. I am sure you are aware that you no sooner get a new PC and boom they are making a faster one the next day. My personal machine is a 1.2 GHZ my wifes is a 866 pentium 3 both have 512 meg and the other attributes I mentioned. I see no reason to go any faster. The only users that need the latest and greatest ( most expensive ) are competitive gamers.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:32 PM

I agree $700 to $1400 is about right . I have only built 150 new machines but I have reconditioned over 1000 for local churchs , school , fire depts. , family , and friends . It is all what your needs are . Other than the ocassional internet game , we don't real game . Thanks for your opinion I learn everytime I read the Posts .
Take care .

acklan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users