Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Here's What I'm Using - Advice On What's Missing? (not Critical)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:17 AM

Hello and thanks for taking a minute to look at my situation,
I'm wondering if there's perhaps another tool at my disposal that might cover any bases potentially missed by these:

Avira AntiVir Premium (w/anti-spy & mailguard)
AdAware 07
SpyBot S&D
Windows Defender
SpywareBlaster
BlackLight RKscanner
Comodo Firewall Pro 3 (set to train w/safe mode) w/Defense+ (set to Train w/safe mode)
Comodo Memory Firewall (monitoring all apps)

I also use:
CC Cleaner
TuneUp 08
PerfectDisk 8
UniBlue SpeedUp

XP Pro sp2 (fully updated)
HP a1100y (all drivers fully updated)
2gb Ram (DDR2 - 5300)
Celeron D 2.8ghz

I'm mostly concerned with a hole in my security set-up.
Thanks again for taking a look,
naughty
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:00 AM

Hi, it looks as tight as Fort Knox! I cant comment on your anti-virus software as I dont really know any one that uses it, not to say there is any thing wrong with it.
My personal anti-spyware favorite is superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/
Just becareful with all those speed up tools and reg cleaners, you must know what you are doing before changing anything with them.
MCP
MSDST

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:11 AM

even with a quad core you are asking for conflicts as those protections fight over who gets to protect you from what first

program bloat causes similar slowdown to malware infections

hopefully you got a clean uninstall of any other antivirus products you tested?

Edited by DaChew, 25 February 2008 - 01:14 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:58 AM

First: Thank you both for your time and your thoughts,

Monty; CC is mostly used (by me) for uninstalls, dumping the recycle bin, etc. UniBlue I use very rarely (and only because I actually clocked a difference after a benchmark test) and of course TuneUp and PD8 are just awesome, problem-free applications (just my experience).

Chewy; Avira is the only anti-virus I've ever used on this particular machine - and have never "had" a virus (caught everything so far).
AntiVir and SpywareBlaster I have set and forgotten, WinDefender and the D+ HIPS (Comodo) are the only ones I continuously interact with.
BlackLight, AdAware, S&D are all on-demand, so if there's a conflict: I haven't caught it. All in all things are runnin' pretty smoothly (perhaps due to my recent ram upgrade 512 to 2gb) thanks very much in part to the helpful people here in these rooms.

I suppose I just might be ok guys...I guess I thought I'd maybe get a post like: "Holy Cow, you don't have a ____?!?!? You're leaving yourself wide open for ____ 's !"
The fact is that the threats are advancing and evolving faster than I can teach myself how to understand and combat them competently.
To give an example; I was using the Windows firewall this time last year...so you'll please forgive my zealousness.
Again - thanx

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

If I have another a1100y (it's dead/ Trojan absolutely killed it) can I steal the memory from that, assuming that it's compatible?
Or is this dangerous?

the most important component for safe computing is safe hex, a previous crash had been from norton's, spybot teatimer and windows update getting into a conflict and causing me to reload

not any virus, trojan or malware

when I built this computer 2 years ago for video work I didn't even put it on the internet for 3-4 months

Then I went for a year with only windows firewall and sp2 and ie6, that was a disaster and I found this place
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

Ha! - seems like that was a hundred years ago, I've come a little ways since then...but not too much.
Like most things in life; the more I learn the less I know.

I too built this machine, and am somewhat proud of it - in the beginning it was just parts from HP corpses...then it would hardly run...now it rips.
Perhaps, having actually put some work into the machine, one becomes particularly sensitive to the computer's health and wellbeing.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users