Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

I went to Microsoft Windows Updates and thankfully I dont' have any critical updates, but I check under the other updates. Are any of these really required?

http://yanowhiz.netrulon.com/updates.png

Edited by yanowhiz, 13 March 2005 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

Personally, I install all updates from M$, that is just me though. Of the four you have showing, I would recommend for sure installing the outlook express update, the others are your choice. If you do install any, make to sure to check again because I know that the net framework will have a critical update to it.

Also, you should not insert pictures into the forum like you did here. It is better to get an account at an image hosting site and post a link to the photo. There are many that are available for free. Here is a link to an article which lists many of them: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/6602/image-hosting/

I use a couple but Image Shack works pretty well and is easy to use.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 P3-450

P3-450

Malware Destroyer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:24 PM

Hi

They are as it says, optional.

You shouldnt need them if you dont use the program that the updated addresses.

One I would recommend you install is the .NET Framwork 1.1. Alot of programs and software these days require you to have this installed for it to run and function.

:thumbsup:

Edited by P3-450, 13 March 2005 - 01:25 PM.

Posted Image
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Sir Winston Churchill

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:28 PM

Ok, yea i'll fix the image, and thanks. So I'll install the netframework. So since I don't use outlook, I shouldn't update it?

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:44 PM

It is entirely up to you. Even though you may not use it and they are not critical updates, outlook express is a security risk and it would not hurt to make sure that is fully updated, this is why I recommend you install it. Better safe than sorry.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:07 AM

I generally look at all the non-critical updates, and decide on a case-by-case basis, although I NEVER EVER install any MS driver updates.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users