Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning Linux From The Ground Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LinkHylian

LinkHylian

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hello all,

I just installed Xubuntu on an old laptop, so I could start learning Linux while I continue to use my XP desktop (so when I know linux well enough, I can swap the desktop to linux too).

What do you suggest needs to be learned to make sure I really get a hang of linux? From a very beginner, hoping to be advanced some day?

Thanks!

Link

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 akiratheoni

akiratheoni

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

For me it was just a matter of reading tutorials and learning the command line -- mostly everyday stuff for me anyway. I just learned how to tweak Ubuntu with installing certain programs and don't worry if you break your system -- that's how I learned Linux. You also want to learn how to do things with the command line and learn to REALLY use it, as in in case X crashes, you can navigate and fix the problem with the command line only. That way you can work your way around many problems.

So basically, just read tutorials and you'll learn. At least that's what I did.

EDIT: Oh and if you're thinking the command line in Linux is at all like DOS, stop thinking that. Bash (the command line in Linux) is twenty thousand more times powerful than DOS.

Edited by akiratheoni, 24 February 2008 - 10:08 PM.

#3 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

Start with the things you do the most and need to be ale to do quickly such as file management, web surfing, playing multimedia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users