Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Switch On - How To Identify Fault?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 etheesdad

etheesdad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

I built a pc 6 months ago and it has been running fine. a few nights ago i left it on to find, in the morning, the power light flashing and the hd light flashing but no video, no os, nothing. I unpowered it and later when I went to switch it on, nothing. No power. no fans. no lights. dead.

The parts are all still under warranty. can anyone tell me how to go about identifying which part is at fault? I assume its the power supply or the motherboard, but dont know how to do the diagnostics. I would be enormously grateful to anyone who can set me in the right direction so I can identify whats causing the fault and get it replaced under warranty.

Thanks to anyone who can contribute

Edited by etheesdad, 24 February 2008 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:02 AM

I would start with the power switch. Remove the wires coming from the case switch at the motherboard and try using a small screwdriver to short the two pins and see if the computer comes on. Next check the power supply by removing the main harness from the motherboard and short the green wire to any of the black wires using a paper clip or a small piece of wire. The power supply should turn on. If it turns on I would suspect a motherboard. If you have access to a voltmeter you can check the voltages using this guide. If the voltages are incorrect or the power supply does not turn on I would send that in first. There is a possibility that the computer overheated but it should have turned itself off before any damage occurred.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 February 2008 - 06:03 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users