Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failing Or Corrupt Personal Profile?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gpetrino

gpetrino

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

I think my hard drive is failing but am hoping it is just a corrupt file. Here is the message I get when booting my system.

"User Environmnet: Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator."

This automatically goes to the next message:

"User Environment: Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off."

As I never back up my files, the first thing I did was locate them on the drive and copy them to a new portable drive. The only file I was unable to find/recover is my Outlook files.

I am running Windows XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8400 which is approx 3 years old.
I have tried to scan the disc for errors, removed the large amount of dust from inside cpu, and tried to run drive diagnostic (which wouldn't load).

Is this a sign of a failing hard drive or a corrupt profile?
If corrupt profile, is there anyway to "uncorrupt" it so that I can get things back to normal?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:32 PM

Sounds like a corrupt profile to me. Here's how to "uncorrupt" it: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Depending on the version of Outlook that you use (and if it's Outlook Express or just plain Outlook) you may still be able to recover the emails. Let us know which version and we'll see what we can do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gpetrino

gpetrino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

It's Outlook 2007.

#4 Gryphonic

Gryphonic

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

while you are waiting for John on that oulook problem think of running a chkdsk /f which will help with some of your query

#5 gpetrino

gpetrino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

I tried to run chkdsk but got this response

the type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restars (Y/N)

I entered Y.

Thanks for your help/advice.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

If you reboot, chkdsk will run.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:13 PM

Search the hard drive for files ending in .pst. The largest and most current one will likely contain all your emails, contacts, etc.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 gpetrino

gpetrino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

I did the chkdsk and copied my profile to a new user profile. It took a very long time to log into (approx 10 min). I was able to locate my .pst files copied that too. I was unable to open the pst file, but I think I just need to reinstall outlook. My final question is, now that I have backed up my files on a portable hard drive, and fixed the corrupted file, should I reformat my hard drive? This was suggested to me by a friend, but I am not sure if that is necessary. Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

If I was sure that it was file corruption that was the problem...I don't reformat/reinstall for such, I save those for the "I've tried everything I know for two full days now" moments :thumbsup:.

I suggest running chkdsk /r on that drive, just to get one more vote of confidence. Chkdsk /r will check for bad sectors and includes all the functions inherent in chkdsk /f also.

If chkdsk /r runs to completion and you are not experiencing any known problems, I see no reason to format.

If you think the HD is failing, just download a diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer and run it...do the long test, do not do the low-level format option.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users