Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pages Won't Open Properly

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 krazykate

krazykate

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

I have a problem I have some pages loading properly and some not. I also have buttons not working on my email. When I start my computer it stops loading and is blank with a blinking cursor. I have run many scans and nothing shows up. Also my McAfee will not load but my super Anti spyware will. I also ran it in safe mode and nothin happened. I try and load AIM and it blinks and dissapears and never opens but my myspace IM works fine. I am so totally confused please help me. Also I have windows XP if this helps. Thanks

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#3 krazykate

krazykate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

OK it loads now but it still won;'t load pages properly and some programs won't load at all.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

Do you have a Linksys router?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 krazykate

krazykate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

No i don't. but it is more than that if I goto my email I can't delet junk etc. On my comcast page the videos won't launch and if I hit certain buttons on pages nothing happens. It is the weirdest thing ever.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

Soooo...the only problems you have right now...are all browser-related?

Louis

#7 krazykate

krazykate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

Yes as of now the only problems is that certain web applications won't run like my AIM. Along with some pages will open but not all windows work properly like I can't reply to emails or delet them. Also could this be from downloading limewire. A friend of mine told me to get rid of it because it messes up your computer.

Edited by krazykate, 25 February 2008 - 10:57 PM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

No i don't. but it is more than that if I goto my email I can't delet junk etc. On my comcast page the videos won't launch and if I hit certain buttons on pages nothing happens. It is the weirdest thing ever.

Kate, I can't help you with your issues, but I can clue you in on not being able to delete mail.
It sounds as if you are using webmail for your Comcast mail access. There is a known issue with the delete and report as spam not working. Other Comcast customers have been complaining about this for at least 2 months. I rarely use Comcast webmail, but a few days ago I noticed the same thing had all of a sudden happened to my webmail. For me, it's no big deal as I use Outlook Express.
Do you have Norton anything on your computer? It seems that it may be one cause for this issue.

PS: If you want to read more about the mail issue, let me know and I'll give you a link.

PS again: I just had a thought about the videos. Hold down the ctrl key while clicking on a video link.
If it opens, you have an over-active popup blocker. This might also work for composing, forwarding, or replying to an email.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 February 2008 - 11:55 PM.

#9 krazykate

krazykate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

Please give me any info you can. But I still don;'t understand about my web pages. I mean when I am on Friendster it will not let me add a friend request. Also with my email the delet button stay gray and cannot be clicked on. This is happening in other programs where buttons are not working properly and my AIM will not load but my Myspace messanger will load. It is so wierd. I will adjut my popup blocker and see if it works though.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

As I stated above, I really can't help you much, other than to provide you with the following link.
Comcast offers a help forum for it's customers-it's mostly a user-to-user forum.
You'll have to sign in with your user name. Then you'll be taken to a page where you will need to choose a screen name. Once you've done that, you'll have access to the forums.
Specifically, you may want to go to the email forum, and find the threads titled

Cannot Delete Email Message Without Opening First and
Unable to use "select all" or delete - Assistant never loads

There might be something you can try. It seems that the issue may have something to do with Norton and Spybot, at least there are some users who report trying the fixes for Norton seems to clear up the problem. But the other side of the coin is that it affects people who don't use either of these programs. If nothing else, you will be able to see that you are not alone in experiencing the icons in webmail.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

edit to add: the Comcast forum is a good resource if you are having issues with Comcast. We see a lot of posters who have issues tech support can't solve, but do get solved in the forum. Some of us bypass tech support and go straight to the forum for help.

another edit to add: Kate, do you have Spybot installed on your computer?
Just a few minutes ago I did a test. Since Spybot was mentioned as a cause of the greyed out icons, I decided to uninstall Spybot. After the uninstall and a reboot, I sent a test mail to myself at my Comcast email address. Checked it using webmail. Lo and behold, when I put a check mark in the box next to the mail in the inbox, the delete and report as spam buttons became bold and worked.
I had discounted Spybot as the cause because I don't have it set to run on startup or in the background. If I want to use it, I'll click on the desktop icon and open it myself. I thought it had to be open for the issue to occur, apparently I was wrong. If you have Spybot, uninstall it and see if that resolves your issue with mail. Who knows, it might clear up another problem or two.
I've also asked if there are any settings in Spybot that need to be changed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 February 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#11 krazykate

krazykate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

I have tried to remove spybot but it won't work. I have removed it and then rebooted and it still shows up!! Grr this is making me mad.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:19 AM

Ain't modern technology grand? It's great when it works like it's supposed to. When it doesn't, it's the pits.
You removed spybot, and it still shows up where? Is there a desktop icon to click on? If there is, and you click on it, what happens?
No spybot icon on your desktop? Look in program files-is the file still there? If it is, open it and see if the icon to open spybot is in the file.
Or by still there do you mean it's still listed in Add/Remove programs?

Did you check out the Comcast forums I linked to?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 February 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#13 krazykate

krazykate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

Well it is down in the task bar and it is no longer in the add remove programs!! I can't figure it out!!!! GRRRRRR!! I have looked a bit on comcast and nothing seems to be working, ugh!! I hate computers!!!

Well it is down in the task bar and it is no longer in the add remove programs!! I can't figure it out!!!! GRRRRRR!! I have looked a bit on comcast and nothing seems to be working, ugh!! I hate computers!!!

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:30 PM

The spybot removal thing is beyond me. I'm putting out a call to others who can assist you with that.

Kate, I've asked for help with Spybot. Hopefully one of the wise ones can offer a solution.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 February 2008 - 12:36 PM.

#15 krazykate

krazykate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:37 PM

Thanks so much!! This is realy getting me freeked out!! I also saw when I was searching about spybot that there is a spybot worn could that be what I have?

It isn't the tool bar!!

Edited by krazykate, 28 February 2008 - 05:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users