Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inactive Accounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rayal49

Rayal49

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

Does anyone know how to remove inactive accounts from the hard drive in "Windows xp home"?

Rayal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

Start menu. Control Panel/User Accounts.

Click on the user account name OR change an account under Pick A Task.
When the What do you want to change screen opens, choose delete the account.

It will ask if you want to also delete that accounts folders-if you click Keep Files, the user's Desktop files and "My Documents" files will be saved on the Computer Administrator's Desktop.

If you click Delete Files, the entire account will be deleted, and you will not be able to recover any of the user's files.

NOTE: You must be logged in as a computer admin to delete accounts AND it cannot be deleted if you are logged in on that account.
Also, Do not delete the account named Administrator.

#3 Rayal49

Rayal49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

I meant accounts that show up when you open"Explore all users " and you find accounts still listed there that are redundant and inactive, but obviously still on the hard drive.

Rayal

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

Some of those accounts are necessary to the running/updating of your system. Be very careful what you choose to delete - and if you do delete them, save them in the Recycle Bin for a while - just in case you need them back (things like Default User, All Users, Network Service, Local Service, ASP.NET, etc
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

The only way to get rid of the inactive accounts completely is to delete the account as I described above.
You could go into My Computer/Documents and Settings, click on the user account name and delete it. But the only thing that does is get rid of the user's folder. The user name will still be on the welcome screen, and the user folder will be recreated if that users desktop is accessed.
OR you could highlight the user name when you Explore all users, right click, and delete.
Using this method will also keep the name on the welcome screen and recreate the user folder as mentioned. If there are documents, photos, etc in the accounts that you think should not be deleted move them to YOUR documents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users