Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continual Re-boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twcookies

twcookies

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:39 PM

Any help with the following would be appreciated!

Our compaq laptop (Windows Xp) gets quite far into boot up, ie desktop icons are displayed, and then just re-boots itself ad infinitum. I had recently removed some programs via Control Panel due to the HD being very full (I've since taken a heap of files off and freed up 5g or so) but this may be a red herring and I think its picked up a nasty.

If I boot into safe mode, it completes its boot, so no blue screen or error codes to report.

I tried to restore to a previous date, it took forever and then just said it was unable to restore to that date.

Is this a case for HijackThis? Anything I can do other than re-load Windows?

Regards,
David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 twcookies

twcookies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

Forgot to mention, I've disabled auto restart, but it still keeps re-booting!

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

it would be helpful to know what your antivirus program is and what other protection programs are on board; when did you last update and run full scans with them ?

You obviously have system restore enabled with is good even if at present it will not play ball and DO a restore for you :thumbsup:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

I thought it would be helpful to read the other thread and what's been tried there. Here's the link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/130891/continual-re-boot/

twcookies, I see that you are able to boot up into Safe Mode with no problems. This suggests that there may be too many processes and programs trying to load in Normal Mode. I would also suggest freeing up more hard-drive space.

How much RAM do you have?

What makes you think you have picked up a nasty?

Have you tried running your security programs in Safe Mode?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users