Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage Protector Ahhhh!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

Well im running vista home, and i've just been infected with storage protector.. what do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

Hello ihateadware52792, let's stsrt with this BC tutorial
How To Remove Vundo/Winfixer Infection
After running VundoFix, a text file named vundofix.txt will have automatically been saved to the root of the system drive, usually at C:\vundofix.txt. Please copy & paste the contents of that text file into your next reply. If vundofix stalls or fails to run, continue with the rest of the steps and try running it again afterwards.

NEXT: download AutoRuns
and save it to your Desktop.
1.Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
2.Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
3.Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
4.When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
5.Scroll through the list and look for an entry related to strpmon.exe.
6.If found, right-click on the entry and choose delete.
7.Exit the program when done.

NEXT: download OTMoveItby OldTimer and save to your Desktop.

>Double-click on OTMoveIt.exe to launch the program.
>Copy the file(s)/folder(s) paths listed below - highlight everything in red and press CTRL+C or right-click and choose Copy.

C:\Program Files\StorageProtector
C:\Program Files\Common Files\StorageProtector
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\StorageProtector

>Then in OTMoveIt, right-click in the open text box labeled "Paste List of Files/Folders to be Moved" and choose Paste.
>Click the red MoveIt! button.
>The list will be processed and the results for each line will be displayed in the right-hand pane.
>Highlight everything in the Results window, press CTRL+C or right-click, choose Copy, right-click again and Paste it in your next reply.
>Click Exit when done.
>A log of the results is automatically created and saved to C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles \mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log <- the date/time the tool was run.
Please copy/paste the contents of that log in your next reply.
-- Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot your computer in order to finish the move process.
If asked to reboot, choose Yes

Caution: Be careful of what you copy and paste with this tool. OTMoveIt is a powerful program, designed to move highly persistent files and folders. Not following the directions as instructed or using incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system.

Then search for and delete the following folder in bold if still present. You can use Windows Explorer to navigate to there:
C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\storageprotector <- this folder

Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opers browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post log(s) and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

heres the MOVEIT log..

File/Folder C:\Program Files\StorageProtector not found.
File/Folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\StorageProtector not found.
File/Folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\StorageProtector not found.

OTMoveIt2 v1.0.20 log created on 02242008_220054

#4 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

Vundo fix is running, and it's finding stuff, so hopefully that will fix this. ill do vundo fix tonight, and work on the rest tomorrow after school.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

We'll wait for all the logs,thanks.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

well i ran vundo fix, and i'm not sure it worked.. it did find stuff and i clicked remove vundo and all of that...

heres that text file

VundoFix V6.7.8

Checking Java version...

Java version is 1.5.0.6
Old versions of java are exploitable and should be removed.

Scan started at 9:38:43 PM 2/24/2008

Listing files found while scanning....

C:\windows\System32\fstqxrcz.dll
C:\windows\System32\fstqxrcz.dllbox
C:\Windows\System32\geefe.dll
C:\Windows\System32\iilnn.ini
C:\Windows\System32\iilnn.ini2
C:\Windows\System32\nnlii.dll
C:\Windows\System32\tuvwwus.dll
C:\Windows\System32\uvyifxwa.dll
C:\Windows\System32\wvurs.dll

Beginning removal...

So thats whats in that text file u asked for.

thats all for me tonight, ill work on it more tomorrow, but please respond tonight again if you can.

thanks

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

So far so good. Still want to see the SuperA log. How is the PC running now? Also your java is out of date,so you need to do this....
Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)6 Update 4...allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Plattform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "English".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Edited by boopme, 24 February 2008 - 11:04 PM.

#8 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

I can't get that new Java, when i go to download it, i get an error saying it wont allow me to, and that i need to contact customer service, so i'm waiting on an email reply from them..

as i said in my last post, i did the vundo fix, but unfortunately it didn't work at all, but it did apparently find some files...

im going to work with the ATF and Super today, ill post again soon.

by the way, my computer is running fine, but i get a lot of error messages and the occasional promotional pop up. I also have 1,000 .TMP files in My Documents, and my C drive picture is now a red X, rather than a disk drive picture..

thanks for your time by the way BoopMe , much appreciated .

PS. did i forget to mention ive got vista home premium?

Edited by ihateadware52792, 25 February 2008 - 03:39 PM.

#9 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

OK here is my super log, it worked great, the crap is off my computer, but i still have a few questions for you following my log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 02/25/2008 at 05:08 PM

Application Version : 3.9.1008

Core Rules Database Version : 3408
Trace Rules Database Version: 1400

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:11:05

Memory items scanned : 234
Memory threats detected : 1
Registry items scanned : 8592
Registry threats detected : 21
File items scanned : 91874
File threats detected : 6

Adware.Vundo Variant/Resident
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NNLII.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NNLII.DLL

Unclassified.Unknown Origin
HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}
HKCR\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}
HKCR\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}
HKCR\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}\InprocServer32
HKCR\CLSID\{11A69AE4-FBED-4832-A2BF-45AF82825583}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FSTQXRCZ.DLL

Adware.Vundo Variant
HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}
HKCR\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}
HKCR\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}\InprocServer32
HKCR\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{D36D2089-0427-4F49-AF09-6C6B11AB8D9F}
HKCR\CLSID\{D36D2089-0427-4F49-AF09-6C6B11AB8D9F}
HKCR\CLSID\{D36D2089-0427-4F49-AF09-6C6B11AB8D9F}\InprocServer32
HKCR\CLSID\{D36D2089-0427-4F49-AF09-6C6B11AB8D9F}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MLJIF.DLL
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks#{D36D2089-0427-4F49-AF09-6C6B11AB8D9F}
HKCR\CLSID\{A95B2816-1D7E-4561-A202-68C0DE02353A}

Adware.Vundo-Variant
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{8625634F-A4C6-4F78-91D5-6C5004590AD0}
HKCR\CLSID\{8625634F-A4C6-4F78-91D5-6C5004590AD0}
HKCR\CLSID\{8625634F-A4C6-4F78-91D5-6C5004590AD0}\InprocServer32
HKCR\CLSID\{8625634F-A4C6-4F78-91D5-6C5004590AD0}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel

Adware.IPWins
C:\Program Files\ipwindows

Trojan.Net-ALX/NMC
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad#alxvdvm [ {59CA718E-F9C9-4B5B-B76C-684BCA7A25C6} ]

Trojan.Unclassifed/AffiliateBundle
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TUVWWUS.DLL

Trojan.WinLog/Panama
C:\WINDOWS\WINLOG.EXE

After i scanned, quarantined and rebooted, i got this DLL error "error loading C:\windows\system32\mljif.DLL the specified module could not be found

also my C drive still has a red X on it, rather than the C drive little icon thing, how do i fix that? (for example if i goto my computer, local disk C is a red X, it works though.

I've deleted all those temp files that were in my documents, and the icons on my desktop too that were from that adware. Things are looking great right now!

Edited by ihateadware52792, 25 February 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:04 PM

You're welcome .I think we are going to kick this.
This is still a piece of Vundo... run SAS again from safe mode and post the log please.

#11 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

Do i really need to run SAS again, it took over an hour last time? My computer is fine now, its just that my C drive has a red X on it, instead of its usual picture.. and thats about it, everything else is back to normal, no more errors or anything.

by the way SAS is fantastic!

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

You don't need to run anything if you're happy.Perhaps you can post in the Vista forum about the x.

#13 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Well I'm all set, thank you very much for your time Boopme, I really appreciate it.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

You're quite welcome ihateadware52792.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

its just that my C drive has a red X on it,

That is symptomatic of a newer type of vundo infection which will create thousands of pos*.tmp files in the root of the system volume and may put a Red X on your drive icon(s).

You should continue as follows:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application. (If using Windows Vista, be sure to "Run As Administrator")
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".

Posted Image
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process and, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Edited by Grinler, 18 February 2010 - 01:57 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users