Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidently Removed User From Admin Group

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 compdope

compdope

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

I goofed. When I installed Ubuntu 7.10, it asked me for a user to give special admin privileges to. However, when I logged in the first time as that user, I was fooling around and mistakenly unchecked the check box which gave that user the privileges (in the users/groups tool). How do I get that back? And why doesn't the root user have a nice GUI like the users do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wenasoga

wenasoga

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

I'm no expert, but the simplest way is to re-install UBUNTU and make sure you use a name and password that you can remember. I'm assuming you just recently installed it?

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

You need to boot to recovery mode, and re-add yourself to the admin list. However, recovery mode only gives you command line. I dont know how to add that check in command line :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:50 PM

Sorry for the double post:

And why doesn't the root user have a nice GUI like the users do?

Because most linux users are more concerned with their architectural perfection than making something that actually works, making linux a great system, when it works. :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:56 AM

startx would help out. I all ready said this in another thread: The root user is by default locked. It is to prevent people from doing things which will harm their OS, by accident.

BTW, linux fans hate reinstalls. That's a windows thing. When linux gets broke, it's usually possible to fix without oblitteraing your files and starting over.

Don't reinstall. Read this.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users