Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover Partitions And Data?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jtypeb

jtypeb

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi all -

This is my first post to the site although I visit it all the time.

I have a home built system 2 yrs old Asus A8n-sli Mobo running XP Pro SP2. At least it used to be running. I had single HDD installed PATA 250G with multiple partitions. I recently bought a SATA 500G. Used Acronis True Image 9 in an attept to clone all the PATA to the SATA. Something went wrong and rendered the SATA unbootable. I have it in an external case and can read the files on my other computer. But it will not boot. That is one issue and worthy of an entry on a forum like this all on its own.

Here is the real question: I foolishly allowed Acronis to erase the PATA as part of the clone process. What are my options for recovering the partitions and data?? Any??

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi jtypeb and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer

Have all of the files been copied to the SATA drive?
The next thing to check is whether your PC is still trying to boot off the PATA drive. Did you remove it before you tried to boot from the new hard drive? If not, try doing so and post back.

As far as recovering your data on the old drive is concerned, it might be possible, but I'm not certain what software you would need to recover the data.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 jtypeb

jtypeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

Yes - All files are on the SATA. The PATA is the only HD in the dead computer. BOIS sees it. It is empty.

The SATA can be accessed(from my other computer) and all the data files are OK so I can save them to someplace else. Somehow the system files are garbled. I was looking for a way to not have to re-install Windows in the dead computer.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

is the new sata drive's partition set to active? use disk managment/windows xp to see?

do you see the standard boot files on it?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 jtypeb

jtypeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hi Chewy,

Yes the second partition is set as active. That would be correct for the way I had it partitioned. The problem there is the boot.ini file is missing. There are likely other files missing too. I can't tell

John

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

put it back in and run windows as a repair disk?
Chewy

#7 jtypeb

jtypeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

I already tried that. Couldn't make it fix it. Unless you mean re-Install windows as a repair?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

are you saying after booting to the windows cd, it couldn't even see that windows was installed on the drive?

if so, I would get any data I could off the drive and start over with a clean install after deleting the partition

Edited by DaChew, 24 February 2008 - 04:55 PM.

Chewy

#9 jtypeb

jtypeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

The windows CD does see the installation. In fact it claims to see two - "C" and "G". I meant I had tried the various repairs involving bootcfg, bootfix, copying ntldr and etc. The bootcfg/[parameter] always returns errors before finishing. Chkdsk has found and fixed errors but bootcfg still no go. I was questioning if you meant reinstalling windows on top and leaving the other data intact.

One very weird thing: In my original partitioning I had left the "C" Drive empty and installed windows on "D". I also have 3 other partitions. One is fat32 just in case I need it. 1 is where games and other applications are installed. Last one is for data files and backups( of which there are very few)
The weird thing is when I cloned the drive it placed what looks like a complete copy of "D" on the "C" Drive. In other words - 2 operating systems?? I dont know.

What a drag.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

If you have a complete install of XP...other than the boot.ini file...just do a repair install and it will fix the booting. 35 minutes. It will also make that partition the C: partition.

The partition on which the duplicate was made...needs to be active, should be the first partition on that drive (because that's where XP is set to install itself).

If you then determine that you have additional copies of the XP boot partition, just delete same via Disk Management in XP.

Louis

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

I was questioning if you meant reinstalling windows on top and leaving the other data intact.

that's what a repair disk attempts to do
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users