Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd-rw Being Seen As Cd-rom

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

HI there I am installing a CD burner in a friends computer and Windows 2000 is only seeing it as a CD-ROM. I can put a disk in and read from it but I get a this error>>> E:\ is not accessible Incorrect function.

Any ideas out there.......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

Do you have the model and serial numbers to check and make sure it actually is a burner? Is this the only optical drive in the computer?

Edited by garmanma, 24 February 2008 - 06:45 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

what burning software? and version please?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

If you have Nero In CD installed uninstall it and reboot
Saw this exact issue a few years ago & it really had me scratching my head for a while
Nero In CD was causing the problem
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Well the cd burner is being seen in device manager as being a cd burner..... the #'s on the front are.... 52x32x52 and it says recordable and rewritable on the face of the drive.

Well I actually just put the drive into my xp machine and it did not set it up ether. I came up with a yellow ! in manager and came up with this as the drive name....... SDWRYTUR YDU5232 0 0 0 0. Eather this needs raid drivers or I am thinking it might be a bad drive.......

I am going to try installing a different drive (known to work) and see if it will work.

Also always up for any other ideas..... :thumbsup:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

on the w2k machine it has to have burning software installed

download imgburn and test

on your xp machine only hook to the ide controller run from the southbridge chipset, that kind of garbled id is from a raid chipset that doesn't support atapi ide drives
Chewy

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:38 PM

Well...some BIOSes are not set for auto-detection of drives...has to be done manually.

Is the drive currently attached...reflected accurately in the BIOS? If not, read the print in the BIOS that indicates how to do manual detection of all drives.

Did this drive replace a CD-ROM?

Louis

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

Now I think this is a jumper problem
How are the drives jumpered?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

No matter what drive I put in it it will show up as the drive that I actually installed (if that makes sence)

I just tried a dvd burner from one of my other PC's and it shows as the dvd burner (actually lists the name) and will allow me to read from it but not write to it......

I have installed Easy CD Creator v4.02c and still even running through that it tells me that there is no supported cd drive installed.

Just for reference..... the cd-rw drive I am installing is labled.... IDE5232 Made by Top Glory Electronics

Edited by kwboom, 24 February 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#10 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

The dirves are jumpered...... CD-ROM is slave on secondary on the middle of the IDE cable and the burner is master on the end of the secondary IDE

Since you mentioned jumpers ...... made me think...... the drive probibily did not work in my xp pc cause both drives were set to master......

Edited by kwboom, 24 February 2008 - 08:59 PM.

#11 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

Well just a update..... I changed the jumper and put the drive back into my xp PC and not a problem booted and found and installed drivers and I could use the drive just as it was new......

So there must be something I am not finding for the Win2k that I need to install for it ot write to cd's.

I have been working at this all afternoon.... this is my first attemp at working on a win2k pc and right now I look a bit like this guy>>>>> :thumbsup:

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36393-32-yamaha-working

I wish you had waited
Chewy

#13 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

Why do you wish I would have waited....... all that page is telling me that nobody can burn with win2k????

I know that there must be a fix for this somewhere, I really don't want to install 98se on this pc cause there is no more supptot for it now and xp is too expensive for him right now....

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

You have installed cd burning malware, I gave you a reccomendation that was free and safe, been tested on everything from windows 95 to vista 64 bit and linux
Chewy

#15 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

What was the malware that I installed..... the only program I installed was Easy CD Creator from a disk I bought years ago that says it works for win 2000.

If indeed there is malware what is my next step? What all do I have to uninstall befor I try to use imgburn and test that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users