Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me Determine If My Motherboard Or Cpu Is Doa?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 8ballll

8ballll

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

Alright, well i've run into a couple very odd issues on my new build and ill do my best to describe everything and what i have tried, here is my setup...

MSI K9VGM-V motherboard (new)
Amd Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Brisbane (new)
2gb(2x1gb)G.Skill DDR2 dual channel ram (new)
MSI Ati radeon x1800xt (used, but works)
500w antec sp-500 smartpower 2.0 PSU(used, but works)
80gb Western digital HDD(used, but works)

Let me start off by saying i am sure every thing necessary was plugged in right and securly (24 pin, 4 pin, front panel connectors, etc) and the power supply was tested and fully functional on another rig

So when everything was set in, plugged up and ready to go, i turned it on, all i know for sure is that the cpu fan turned on, and the video card was powered up, here are some of the symptoms i can conclude...

(1)I get absolutly no display on my screen whatsoever not even recognizes anything (for this problem im pretty sure i can cancel out the video card as being a problem, because i also tried taking the video card out and plugged a VGA monitor straight into the motherboard, and i got the same thing, absolutly nothing)

(2)I realized when i tried booting up the system , that there was no movement or any sign or booting in my HDD(I assure you that the IDE cables were securly plugged in the HDD and MoBo as with the 4 pin power plugs, and the HDD was tested and working on another rig)

(3)When i try to boot up, there is no post beep whatsoever coming from the MoBo(so i am somewhat sure the ram is not the problem, because if it was i would be getting something like, beeeeep....beeeeeep...beeeeeep...beeeeeep, etc, and i took out both the sticks of ram, and it was the same thing, no post beeps at all)

unfortunatly i dont know anyone personally that has an AM2 socket MoBo so i cant really test out my CPU, but from what i was researched , they say to always assume the MoBo is DOA first before the CPU(especially in my scenario because the MoBo is very cheap and budgety)

I have unplugged EVERYTHING(including the MoBo battery for a little while) and hooked it all back up a few times and i got these same symptoms each time

I'm pretty sure this is all the info i can provide, if there is anything u want/need to know to help determine my problem, please say so

All the new parts (MoBO, CPU, RAM) were all bought from newegg just recently so i can still RMA any of them

All help and suggestions will be much appreciated and let me know if there is ANY more info that i could provide

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

If it were me...and these were new parts...I'd have called the store the first day and RMA'd the motherboard.

Not because I know that it's defective...but because it's a new part and I don't even get any indication that it functions as it should (no POST, no sign of life on other components).

It happens, that's why vendors have RMA procedures.

If I received a new motherboard and had the same symptoms, I would then go the CPU as a suspect.

I guess that I'm curious as to why no new PSU, the heart of the system. It's always good to have a spare, since the lack of a PS stops everything.

Louis

#3 8ballll

8ballll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:21 PM

im probably going to RMA the MoBo very soon if i dont get any solutions that work and whatnot

and as u said about my PSU, it actually is pretty much brand new, a little while back when my buddy built a new rig he got 2 power supplys(one as a backup), the one i have is his backup i got from him, and thoughout the time he had it, it has only been used once for like less than 1 hour to test something on his rig at some point and it was perfectly fine

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 24 February 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:11 AM

Make sure the motherboard is not shorting out on the case. Make sure all the standoffs (copper or built in to the case) are in the correct position. The only place the stand off should touch is where the screw holes are.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users