Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Showing 2 Operating Systems But I Have Only 1...?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bodene

Bodene

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

It started after moving my operating system to a bigger hard drive and when it booted it gave me an option of 2 operating systems although I have only one. (Both options were the same until I monkeyed with the boot.ini file)
It was booting from the boot.ini file in C:\windows\pss folder by default so I changed the file extension to disable it but it still shows 2 operating systems.
In recovery mode from OEM disk there is only 1 partition and 1 OS on C Drive. (D Drive is just a data disk)

The boot.ini folder in C Drive on top reads as follows after changing it per a post (which did stop the invalid boot error):

boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

On the boot tab in start up in msconfig it shows booting from:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional" /fastdetect / NoExecute=Optin
and windows says the boot lines are all ok.

One option for boot up in the start up screen is "Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional" the other is just "Windows"

(This is a Asus p4p800 E Deluxe board with intel 3.0 chip and 2 IDE HDs and as a side note my Raid FastTrak controller says no bios is installed but it says it is working fine in devce manager also....?)

The machine still does fine although it seems a little slow....

I am sure someone knows the quick fix but I have spent allot of time reserching and can't find the cure.

Many Thanks for any nudge in the right direction....

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

please paste a complete boot.ini

you left out lines at the bottom

here's mine

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

mine stays on the root directory of my boot/system drive and it better stay there

raid bios not being installed just means you aren't using raid, no worries
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Bodene

Bodene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, here it is:

boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
[boot loader]
timeout=0

I put the timeout to 0 to stop the OS option screen until I figure it out...

The raid works fine on the smaller HD, when I put in this bigger one with the same moved OS I get the warning.
I suppose I don't need it, I run off one disk, the other is only data but I found it to be strange and the system does seem to start slower now.....

Thanks Chewy, I really appriciate the help.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

Place a [ before the first "boot loader"
Remove

[boot loader]
timeout=0

Reboot and see what you get
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

I can't figure out exactly what you did? But it evidently messed up somewhere?

you have 2 pata(ide) drives?

the pata raid is just a Promise 20378 RAID controller where the ide drive is used to supplement a possible sata raid array

I would have done a clean install on the new drive while hooked to the native intel southbridge and the old drive would have been disconnected

But then again I would be using serial hard drives, not pata, since you are tying up ide controllers needed for atapi drives

eagle eye john? now who's visually impared?

Edited by DaChew, 24 February 2008 - 01:21 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Didn't catch it until I looked at the attached pic - it just didn't seem right so I started looking in earnest.

Thanks to my 32" widescreen monitor at 800x600 :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

I see it now that John pointed it out...:flowers:.

Looks like the beginning of another boot entry with no data.

Good attention to detail, sir :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 Bodene

Bodene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

I put the [ in there and the boot option screen stopped..success!
Although there is a series of screen flashes I have never seen but that is not worth even mentioning, so why did I mention it? Dunno
I would have did a fresh install but this is my 12 year old boys machine and he has 80gz of games on it with cheats, no exe files and who knows what else and he was about to have a screaming hemmorage when I spoke of reformatting. The HD was not new, just bigger and he was in much need of more room. So we did, it had a few quirks but I think I have them all worked out.

Thanks a Million Guys!

I am adding you all to my favorites!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users