Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Time 2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:50 AM

Hi i have found some docs on all the things that microsoft records and hides on your computer ( who noes why ) but it is wasting space on my drives ect, To delete it is very detailed and requirs deleteing alot of files so i dont want to damage my OS and loose all my stuff, so can i install windows again so if i do something wrong it wont damage my system with all my files. I have to HHD's so can i just partition a few GB of my 2th HDD useing partition magic and install it on there. Also if so any help on deleting that partition after would be usefull as ive herd it can damage your data when making or deleting partitions. Thanks for any help on the topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:14 AM

I can't answer if you can install the OS twice , but I would believe MS would disable the first install when you had to register the second install ( If you could install it twice) .
You can can safely make a second partition on the same drive . I like Partition Magic . I have also used Digital Dolly , which is freeware .
Why don't you just move your personal data to the new partition instead ? That way if you lost your OS , for whatever reason , your data should be safe . Except for possible HD crash or virus . Then you could chop away on your OS and if you made a mistake you could just do a clean install . A second install ( if you can do it ) would take almost a Gig of HD . I find it hard to believe you could recover that much space .
Just a thought

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 04:00 AM

Ok thanks, Can it be done if i have windows xp home on drive C, then on a partition on drive D: have windows XP pro?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

Yes . I have 3 partitions on my HD . I use one , 1.1 gig , to burn downloaded ISO images like Linux or other very large files . I have an other partition to put all my personal data , 14 gig . My Primary partition is only 5 gig where I keep windows and my programs . I have a 2nd HD , 15 gig , I back up my 14 gig of data to . I also keep my downloads on CD when possible . A 18 gig hd will only run you $20 on Ebay . I went this route in case of HD failure .
By the way second HD is SCSI with a Adaptec 2940 card .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users