Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Trouble-error 1500

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Leon Siria

Leon Siria

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:58 AM

Whenever I try to install new software(using Windows Installer) I get this error message.
Error 1500-Another installation in progress.You must wait until it is completed.
But as far I know no other installation is running.I have also checked the Task Manager.
This problem occurred when I tried to install MS-Office 2003,JDK and also when I tried to uninstall Norton Internet Security.
What is the solution to solve this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:26 AM

Hi Leon Siria, Welcome to BC,

Hope that your problem is short lived. You said;

This problem occurred when I tried to install MS-Office 2003,JDK and also when I tried to uninstall Norton Internet Security.

Which did you do first, try to uninstall Norton or install MS Office?

Norton seems to give lots of people fits when they try to get rid of it, especially when they just into control panels add\remove pane and run the un-installer.

Here's a link to Symantec where they have instructions for getting rid of Norton --> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039 Check that out, you may have to re-install Norton and then follow their removal instructions to finally be rid of it.

So have you gotten yourself another Anti Virus program to replace Norton? If you haven't this is a pretty good one and its free too --> http://avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html The download button is a little green ball on the left side of the page. You'll have to scroll down a little to get to it.

Good Luck,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:45 AM

Also, try rebooting. Often the installer won't be able to remove files that are in use - so it'll set a little routine to delete them on the next reboot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Leon Siria

Leon Siria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

I tried to uninstall Norton first.Then I tried installing MS office03.But this problem occurs with all the softwares that I try to install using Windows installer.I have also tried rebooting(restarting) but to no avail.
  On the recommendation of a friend, I downloaded Microsoft-Windows Installer cleanup software.But even this software,I could not install due to above mentioned problem.

Do I have to change in the Operating system itself(Windows XP)? :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers: Thanks in advance for any solution.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

Hello Leon Siria,

Have you tried using System Restore, choosing a time a date before this problem began?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

Hi All

*looking over at usasma and Orange Blossom for their expert opinion*

OK, it sounds to me like you are suffering the ill effects of a failed Norton un-install. Norton is known to have to be dragged out kicking, screaming while hanging on for dear life... it just hates to be kicked out even when you use their own removal tools.

I think that Symantec designed it that way to discourage people from wanting to get rid of it, though they'll never admit to that.

Is there any chance that you can get it to re-install? I don't remember if it ships with it's own installer or if it uses the Windows installer, hopefully it has its own.

More importantly... have you gotten another Anti-Virus program in place yet?

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

It should be noted that you do no use the Installer Cleanup Utility with Windows Office products
Before you attempt to install anything, open Task Manager and look for Msiexec.exe. If there is one running, kill the process, then try downloading. There can only be one Msiexec.exe running at a time. Some poorly written programs might mistakenly have a second one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Leon Siria

Leon Siria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

Hi,
   I have tried to open system restore but for some reason the window of system restore does not open.All I get is a blank screen.
   Also I noticed that there are three msiexec processes running at the same time.I have tried ending the process tree of the extra msiexec processes.But another instance of the process appears.
   Right now Iam using AVG anti virus.I am also thinking if it would be a good idea to have another OS(Windows 2000)installed on my other drive so that I could install my new softwares installed in that partition. :flowers: :inlove: :thumbsup: :trumpet: .

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:59 AM

Hello Leon Siria,

Oof. That doesn't sound good. Personally I'd hold off on installing another OS on the disk until you get the present one straightened out.

Something is causing those other installer files to start up.

Have you tried doing system restore from Safe Mode?

Have you tried uninstalling the programs from Safe Mode? This would be the long way around, but might work.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

I have tried ending the process tree of the extra msiexec processes.But another instance of the process appears.

Try disabling it in MSCONFIG. What was the last program you installed?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#11 Leon Siria

Leon Siria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

I tried doing system restore in Safe Mode.But in safe mode also the window does not open.

I tried disabling the windows installer service by going to the MSCONFIG via the run command.Now the current status of the 'msinstaller' service is stopped.Now when I tried to install a new software, I get a message box saying that the msinstaller service is disabled and that I could not install a new software.(before the disabling of msinstaller, I got a few initial installation steps of installation wizard when installing a new software.Now only the message box appears.)

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

I do not recommend the use of MSCONFIG except as a troubleshooting tool - it can cause issues (such as these) that just compound the trouble.

I'd suggest resetting MSCONFIG to start your system normally. Then, if necessary, go into Services.msc from the Run dialog and re-enable the Windows installer service.

FYI - Here's 2 good, free programs for adjusting your startups:

A simple program: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
A more complicated program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Leon Siria

Leon Siria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hello everybody,
News at last.My installer seems to be working now.I have also managed to install my required softwares.
I disabled that msinstaller from msconfig and destroyed the additional msiexec processes in taskmanager several times before I could install the softwares.
But I still could not uninstall my Norton Internet Security completely(Iam working very hard at that!!!!).Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

I disabled that msinstaller from msconfig and destroyed the additional msiexec processes in taskmanager several times before I could install the softwares.
But I still could not uninstall my Norton Internet Security completely(Iam working very hard at that!!!!).

Don't forget to turn it back on in MSCONFIG. That's for troubleshooting purposes only, to permanently turn it off do as John suggested
As for Norton:
Norton Removal Tool
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users