Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dieing Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

the man who is fixing my computer told me that my HD is dieing. he said he saw lots of 0's and 5's or 3's or something like that. how did this happen? my computer seems to be working properly. is there a way that i can prevent the HD from dieing. is there a way that i can tell if it is really dieing?

thank you for your time-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

All (modern) hard disks use a form of reporting, called "Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology". Your computer-fixer is probably using this data to make his determination. You can use the free program SpeedFan to access this data for yourself, and get a listing of how the disk is doing.

EDIT: Also, there is no way to prevent hard disk failure. Wikipedia has an excellent article on why that is ;)

Hope it helps,

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 23 February 2008 - 11:28 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:30 AM

IMO, the best way to check the status of your hard drive...to determine its "health"...is to download a diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer...and run the long test, IAW instructions for doing so.

These diagnostics are specifically designed by the HD manufacturer for said purpose, while SMART is a generic monitoring system that may not necessarily reflect the precision of a manufacturer's diagnostic.

Louis

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:07 AM

While I agree, speedfan uses the official tools from hard disk makers in its backend.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

Thanks, Billy...I've never used Speedfan.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

Unfortunately, while there is a standard set of SMART attributes, there are additional attributes that drive manufacturer's add to their firmware. A generic test (such as SpeedFan or HDTune) will do a good job of determining serious failures, the additional tests built in by the manufacturer may give you a "leg up" on detecting impending problems.

As there's no central repository of what tests are offered by which manufacturers, I prefer the method of using the test from the company who manufactured the hard drive. They will know best what's right/wrong with their hardware.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

Thank you-
How do I find out the company who built my hard drive? When I do find out who built it do I just google them, go to there web site then look for a scan? Also, how do HDs get like this? How am I "killing" it?

Thank you again

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

Speedfan can tell you the company and model.... :flowers:

(Can you tell I like this program :thumbsup:)

Billy3
Posted Image

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

The sticker on the drive tells you the mfgr and the build date. Get the mfgr and we will give you the link.

You are not killing it. They wear out.
Hard drives spin at about 8,400 rpm. Thats pretty fast!
Three to 4 years is about all that you can reasonably expect out of them.
Though I have had a few that are getting close to 10 now. I better not jinx them!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

To make matters worse I have had in one instance a drive pass the manufactures test and still be bad. I am awaiting feed back from the manufacture. SIW is Another good program for finding information on your computer.

Edit: Edited link

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 February 2008 - 05:21 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

I have had several instances of that Sneaky
If you think it is failing its best to replace it.
Do it right the first time. Then you are done
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

i think i would need to bring it to a place to have it done because i would also need a data transfer.
what do you guys think. i have had this computer for a while now. it has an 80 gig hd. should i just buy a new computer? even the basic computers that dell/hp etc sell are a lot better than the one i have and i know someone that could transfer all of my music files for me free of charge. but the new computers come with vista and i heard that that isnt too good. i have had the computer for a few years now and because the hd is dieing will other parts start to stop working?
i would end up spending $160 on a new hd and data transfer, but then what if other parts start to go bad because the computer is a few years old??

what do you guys think?

#13 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

IF the repair man can save your windows installation as is, I'd go for the $160 repair. If he cannot, I'd scrap the machine.

Just my 2 cents.

Billy3
Posted Image

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

All computers eventually wear out. Some sooner than others. The computer is only obsolete if it no longer performs the function you want it to. I Understand that the HDD is bad, to say how long the other components will last is a gamble. They may last another 5 years they may burn out tomorrow. My second computer in my SIG is at least 8 years old it still runs windows XP Professional SP2 quite well and can perform any function my current PC can. Its only a little slower since it was designed for earlier versions of windows. IMO its not worth it to scrap a computer because it may or may not go bad. A new system will be far more than 160.00. How old is the current system and what are your expectations of it?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

Well...I've learned that any system...any system can be repaired, if the user truly has the guts/patience to do so.

I'm sure that I could buy all new parts...and install same...for much less than a new computer from one of the boxmakers would cost.

I've never discarded any computer because of a hard drive gone bad...that's pretty routine stuff, takes a few minutes to correct/replace a hard drive.

As for recoverying data from a hard drive...there are several programs that perform recovery that won't cost $160...and can be used again, if the situation warrants it.

It's up to you, you're the owner and no one can tell you what your system means to you.

The one lesson that all should have gotten out of this rhetoric...it's good to have a backup/spare system to ease the pain of repairing "the one and only".

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users