Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Saved To Desktop And Firefox Browser Settings Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Holly51899

Holly51899

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hello, I hope you can assist me. The most dangerous thing is a mom who knows a little about computers, and then tries to fix things.
I have tried to fix my son's computer. His pc was running slowly and so I ran Spybot S& D. I was trying to update Spybot and could not. So I ran it anyways without updates. The program found over 200 entries of dialers, malware etc. I tried to delete them upon completion, but I could not as the system said that some Items were being used and I shoud try to delete upon restart. I did restart, but this was still unsuccessful.

Ultimately I installed the newest version of Spybot after fixing a registry entry with dial a fix. Thought that would help, but there are still over 130 malware left. There was an old version of Ewido 3.5 on his pc, so since that was out of date I deleted it along with quaratine and everything. (I think this might be the culprit now) Then I tried to run AVG 7.5 antivirus.

After all this I still have undesired stuff on his computer, but at the same time I destroyed some of his settings as well. He had a ton of browser pages and images, some notepad files saved to his desktop. All are gone. His wallpaper background became a generic one and most of his program icons disappeared as well. He mostly uses Mozilla Firefox and all of browser settings and bookmarks are erased. Needless to say I have a very irate teenager. By the way another account on the same computer has the desktop along with all its clutter intact.

Since then I have tried to do a system restore, but it did not help in restoring anything (visible at least)

So my question is twofold, how can I get the desktop and browser items back?

How can I clean his trojan, malware, dialer etc. infested computer clean?

Thank you so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OO7

OO7

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hello, my name is OO7, and i'll try and help you.
So, he has lots of viruses and dialers, I'd recommend DrWeb/CureIt, you can find it on Google. But don't open it.
Instructions:
1. Boot into Safe Mode (F1 repeat at startup)
2. Open DrWeb.
3. Scan.
4. Post the log here, so another person may help you.
Quietman4 recommended that to me and it didnt find anything (haha) but i thought you can try it).

~OO7 :thumbsup:

#3 Holly51899

Holly51899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

Thanks 007, I will try your suggestion. But how do I get the browser bookmarks and desktop items back I think I deleted them somehow, while trying to vigorously clean his computer. By the way I forgot to mention in my original post, it is running Windows XP with SP2.

Thanks

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

Hello Holly51899 and welcome to BC :flowers:

What specifically did you do just before the files and settings disappeared?

Re: Missing images and files

Have you checked the Recycle bin to see if they are there?

Have you done a thorough search for some of the files in question to see if you can find them elsewhere? If you cannot find them through his user screen, try an administrative account to see if you can find them that way. If you find one, note the full file path and post that in your next reply.

Desktop background:

Did your son save the theme settings? If so, you might be able to restore the desktop background and icon appearance etc.

Re: Firefox settings and bookmarks

Here is a guide for Saving/Restoring bookmarks in Firefox. See if the bookmark file is present in the profile. Let us know if it is. If it is not there, then do this:

Open the file called bookmarkbackups.
Locate the file with the most recent date.
Right click it, and select Copy.
Click the Back button, closing the bookmarkbackups folder.
Now, right click on an empty area in the open window, and select Paste.
Right-click the file you just Pasted, and Rename it to bookmarks.html.
This will put a copy of the most recent backup, in your Profile folder.
Close the Profile folder.
Close, then reopen Firefox, and see if you have your bookmarks.

Thanks to tg1911 for the above.

Let us know how it works out.

Also, I would advise at this point NOT doing the Dr. Web/CureIt scan at this point. Hitting F1 won't get you into safe mode properly either. Instead, please run a scan with SUPERAntiSpyware in Safe Mode. (The link provides proper directions for getting into safe mode). You will, of course, install it in Normal Mode.

Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware free found here: SUPERAntiSpyware

Be sure to click on the download button to the left, not on the free trial download on the right.

Install it and double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.
It will ask if you want to update the program definitions, click Yes.
Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
  • Close browsers before scanning
  • Scan for tracking cookies
  • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
o Please leave the others unchecked.
o Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
Reboot into Safe Mode
On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK.
Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next.
It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes.
Reboot into Normal Mode
To retrieve the removal information for me please do the following:
o After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntispyware icon on your desktop.
o Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.
o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
o It will open in your default text editor (such as Notepad/Wordpad).
o Please highlight everything in the notepad, then right-click and choose copy.
Click close and close again to exit the program.

Please post the log in your next reply.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users