Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Excel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tallredmond

tallredmond

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

I run a spreadsheet at work (the details I will not bore you with!) and I would like to make some improvements to it. The sheet is a shared file which many users enter data to and I then collate this data and process it, one of the big problems I have is when a manager enters the same data twice which causes an error when processing.

What would I like to be able to do?
When data is entered I would like the sheet to look across all worksheets in the file and validate if this has already been entered (the data is in the form of a unique 7 digit numeric) if it already appears it should return an error message to tell the user that the number already exists elsewhere. Is this possible and of course if so can anyone help with the how?

Many thanks
A new user!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:18 AM

google
duplicate data validation excel

here's one hit, (there are lots)
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.aspx

May be more difficult to find out how to approach it looking through all sheets

Edited by Paul Morgan, 24 February 2008 - 06:19 AM.

#3 tallredmond

tallredmond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will have a try and see the results!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users