Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tallredmond

tallredmond

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

I run windows XP on my home PC (and connect via BT broadband) but it has started coming back with error messages when I try to access some sites (e.g. i tunes, hotmail) the error comes back with "Page could not be displayed" I have tried to follow the things it offer with no joy and I have noticed "DNS error" at the bottom. I have asked a friend who knows a little more about PCs than I do and he cannot see anything obvious on my settings or level of security and I currently do not have a fire wall active.

I put my computer in for a service about 18 months ago and have not really used it since (I now have a works laptop) and wonder if they have changed a setting when they had it in place which I need to adjust back.

Really stuck and would welcome any suggestions for support!

Fingers crossed....

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 23 February 2008 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi tallredmond, Welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

Are you using IE 6 or IE 7?

First, try and clear the DNS cache manually.
Go to Start/ Run, type type in; cmd and at the black command screen type ipconfig /flushdns
and/or try:
Start / Run / type in; regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Click Okay.

Test if you can browse the web.

There are many possible reasons why this is happening, and the contributing factors vary for each computer.

Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections.
Click once on your active Connection.
From the menu on the left, select Repair This Connection.
Try to connect to a site.

Is there any Proxy set or used?
Check to see if set to automatic:

In Internet Explorer,
Go to Tools/ Internet Options/ click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings.
Select Automatically Detect Settings.
Click Okay twice.

If still no joy, clear old files and settings that may be preventing you from connecting to the Internet.

Click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files button.
When the box opens, put a check in Delete All Offline Content.
Click Okay.
Click Delete Cookies. When you are prompted to confirm this selection, click Okay.
Click Settings.
Click View Objects.
Click View, and then click Details.
If Damaged appears in the Status column for any program file, remove that program file.
Close the Downloaded Program Files dialog box.
In the Settings dialog box, click OK .
Under History, click Clear History, and then click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the selection.
In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 tallredmond

tallredmond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

A very furstrating day....! I have tried all of your tips and this did not succeed however your comment on using IE6 or IE7 made me think.... I have now upgraded to windows XP service pack V2 (thats how out of date I was!) which I have installed but it now means I cannot connect to the internet at all.....!!!!!!

I have contacted BT (my service provider) and asked them to resend me a disk so I can install all over again and hopefully I may one day be able to connect at home again. The thought that crossed my mind was are you aware of any connection problems between Belkin wireless USB car, BT broadband and Windows XP??

Thanks

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:21 PM

Okay, lets try a few different fixes then.

Try resetting the IP address:
Go to Start/ Run and type: cmd
Press Okay or Hit Enter. A dos Window will appear.
At the command prompt type or copy/paste:: ipconfig /release
Hit Enter.
When the prompt comes back, type: ipconfig /renew
Hit Enter.
Close the command box and and see if that fixes the connection. No reboot needed.

Then go to Start/ Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection, and and choose Properties.
Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.

CAUTION: It is possible that your Internet Service Provider requires specific settings here. Make sure you know if you need specific DNS settings here or not before you make these changes. If you are sure you do not need a specific DNS address, you may proceed.

If you continue to connectivity problems,WinSock XP Fix can can cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or modifications of the Winsock settings.
Sometimes your Internet connectivity will get corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.

Or you can try WinSock2 Fix, if that fix didn't work.
When you run it, click on Reg-Backup button first to backup the registry, and then click on the Fix button.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 tallredmond

tallredmond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

I think I may throw my computer out of the window (excuse the pun!) as I am having no joy.

What I now know is

1 - My router is fine (I am wirless on my laptop) and have had this confirmed
2 - My Belkin USB stick is working fine
3 - My broadband line is wokring fine.

What I am now told is that it maybe my browser settings and I should consult the people I brought the computer off, problem being they no longer exist!!

I am concious that I am becoming a pain but can you or any other contacts you have help me as I cannot even go on line with it to get any updates I am missing???

:thumbsup:

I may turn to drink.....!

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hang in there tallredmond...

Lets see if you need to configure a default gateway.

Open Network Connections
Click the local area connection you want to configure, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
On the General tab, in This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
On the Alternate Configuration tab, click User configured. Type the values for the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

If you currently have TCP/IP configured to obtain an IP address automatically, you must manually configure a TCP/IP address and subnet mask in order to configure a default gateway.

To do this, open the Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all then press enter.
These are the values you will be using for the user configured IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.

Open IE, click on Tools, then Internet Options, then go to the connection tab, click on LAN setting,
Check box: Use a proxy server for your LAN, enter your IP address and port number then check bypass proxy server for local addresses.
Click okay, then okay again.
Check your internet connection.

If you can no longer connect to the internet after updating to SP2, it may point to a Firewall or a Windows problem.

You can have a look at Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2 .

Or perhaps start a new Topic in the Wndows XP forum, and ask what issues can occur when updating to SP2.

Thinking....
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 tallredmond

tallredmond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

I will have to try all of these things at the weekend again as it just takes up so much of my time in the evening, just wanted to say thanks for the support and watch this space I may insert one of those smiley faces on my post one day!!

Fingers crossed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users