Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"error Loading Os."

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

"Error loading OS."
Boot loop.
No Safe Mode.
No Windows OS disk to perform reconstruction of c:window\system32\config and ultimately System Recover.

I haven't done any OS updating or driver updates or any other hard mods. I did install an application called LaunchPad (equivalent to Valve's Steam) and installed the game Infantry. W hile later on the same day, I uninstalled both.

So I tried the recovery system console and here's what I got:

C:\WINDOWS>bootcfg /scan

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations.
This error may be caused by a corrpt file system, which would
prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to
detect any disk errors.

Note: This operation must complete successfully in order for the
/add or /rebuild commands to be utilized.

C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk
Volume HP_PAVILION created 10/22/07 03:24
The volume Serial NUmber is xxxx-xxxx
The drive could not be checked.

--

So, now I think either I got a virus or some bug that corrupted something or my HDD is also dying...This computer was bought in 2005

Will fixboot allow me to save my files (and hopefully not incur a complete HDD wipe?)

Thx

UPDATE:

I tried the instructions from http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/artic...e.jsp?id=8658-1 and I"m stuck on the first page where u copy c:\windows\repair\system... etc.

I tried doing it from my d:\ (since it's HP, they paritioned part of my drive and put the recovery files there, instead of on a CD), and I was denied ACCESS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

I've had a corrupt NTFS file system...my cure for it was a clean install of the O/S.

I suggest that you take a physical look at the hard drive, see who the manufacturer is...go to their website and download a diagnostic.

Run the long test.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

Could be related to this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132796/cannot-locate-windows-installation/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Alright, so it seems I had something wrong with c:\windows\system32\config\ because I now can boot up my computer and it looks just the way it was before.

Only one problem: most of my exes don't work.

No IE7, firefox, Media Player Classic, Pidgin, etc

They say that some image isn't correct or could not be found or not valid. All of them point to the c:\windows\system32\config folder too

It's not a huge problem, as my data on the C: is now accessible and I will just backup and reformat. However, I'd like to know what a windows image is and possible reasons as to why most of my apps won't run because of this image problem (if I didn't state it earlier, I used the article in the link under UPDATE. I later found that WIndows Support has the same instructions, and it worked for some and not for others).

Thanks!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

<<They say that some image isn't correct or could not be found or not valid. All of them point to the c:\windows\system32\config folder too.>>

It might help if you managed to indicate...what the source(s) of this assertion are. Error message (verbatim), link, that sort of thing.

<<However, I'd like to know what a windows image is and possible reasons as to why most of my apps won't run because of this image problem>>

I'd like to see whatever it is that you are referring to...

Louis

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

WHOA! One should never trust anything that THEY say, because one never knows if THEY know what the heck THEY are talking about, however, if THEY would be so polite as to put up a screen shot or two help just might be a click away.

Hi hamluis, looks to me like you and usasma are doing a Tennessee Two Steep here.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users