Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Hangs On Cd Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 compdope

compdope

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

I tried to boot Ubuntu 7.10 from CD on a Pentium III with a Windows 98Me partition. The Ubunto logo displays along with a slider moving back and forth. Eventually, though, the logo disappears and for 8+ hours all I get is blank screen. I can see the CD-ROM and hard disk lights flash occassionally but those are the only signs of live. How do I get this thing to boot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 compdope

compdope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

Update on this. I had CD problems. Now with a good CD, I get a window with two icons: "Examples" and "Install". I double clicked on "Install" but the CD lag time is killing me. Many minutes after double-clicking, I'm still waiting for the computer to do something.

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:09 AM

Download Ubuntus alternate install cd and try that. Systems that behave like this usually have a issue with the hardware that (mostly graphics) and alternate cd is much less flashy and system demanding to install. I'm not sure if alternate install has a live distro on it, I don't think it does.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#4 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:29 AM

You can also try the Xubuntu distro. It's made specifically for older systems.

Edited by OmegamB, 24 February 2008 - 03:29 AM.

Posted Image

#5 compdope

compdope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

Thanks all. I tried the Ubuntu alternate CD and everything worked fine. I'll have to take a look at Xubuntu.

#6 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:49 AM

It might be helpful to note that the Ubuntu Live CD needs a minimum of 384 MB of ram to run properly. I dont know about Xubuntu

I'm not sure if alternate install has a live distro on it, I don't think it does.

It doesn't

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users