Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:59 PM

I just set up two new Dell Inspiron 531s with Vista Home Premium, and would like to know what's the recommended Internet Security Suite for this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

I use Trend Micro Internet Security 2008, it works great. I wouldn't use McAfee or Symantec, they install so deeply and almost take a reformat to fully remove.

3939.png

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

I would also recommend Trend Micro Internet Security.
Someone I know just upgraded their computer to Vista and they said Trend Micro was the best, well, for them :huh:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

We sell TrendMicro at work, and it's pretty good.

At home I use AVG Free on my 32 bit Vista systems, and Avast Free on my 64 bit system.
On the 32 bit systems we use Windows Defender, AdAware 2007, and SpyBot Search & Destroy - on the 64 bit I only use Windows Defender.
We also use the Windows firewall on all of our systems as I've had problems with most of the offerings out there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:44 AM

try avast free as an AV,, and Superantispyware or Spyware Doctor for malware,,, both of these have pay for versions that run active gaurds,,, i think i saw that there's an offeer on at the moment on the SuperAnti at $11,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

I don't want to turn this into a A versus B thread but I'm trialing AVG Internet Security and it's light and works well.Your computer and the one I've just set up here is identical.Good luck on what ever you chooses,just let me know your choice and I could give it a run to :huh:

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

I chose Trend Micro because of it's x64 compatibility. There are many great 32-bit security programs available.

3939.png

#8 jayt36

jayt36

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

I think I remember reading recently that Trend Micro is one of the security suites that will not work with Vista SP1. Of course they might get it fixed before SP1 is downloaded.

This is an article from cnet : "Vista SP1 breaks ZoneAlarm, Trend Micro apps, among others
By Tim Conneally and Scott M. Fulton, III, BetaNews
February 21, 2008, 2:17 PM

Microsoft has presented a list of applications which are adversely affected by the problematic Vista Service Pack 1, some of which cease to function entirely.

The problem apps are categorized in three groups: those that are blocked from starting, those that lose functionality, and those that do not run at all following the installation of Service Pack 1.

Blocked programs were known to cause problems in SP1, so with approval from the software providers, Bitdefender AV and Internet Security v.10, Fujitsu Shock Sensor v 2.1.0.0, Jiangmin KV Antivirus v. 10 and 2008, Trend Micro Internet Security 2008, and Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.1 (more about this shortly) all will not start after installing the service update.

Edited by jayt36, 24 February 2008 - 09:45 PM.

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:54 AM

your on the money there jayt,,,,,, i also read that somewhere so i looked for it,,,,,, here's the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7205059.stm

sory to hijack this thred a bit but i also found this, about those programs and vista sp1 ugrade,,,,,, it seems that most of the programs with issues are security programs,,,,,,,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935796

Edited by figgis41, 25 February 2008 - 09:03 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hi jayt36,thanks for your info on this.I might delay this SP1 update for a little while just to see how everyone makes out with it. :huh:

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 WILL work with SP1. If you have product version 16.05 or higher, you'll be fine. This is how I'm able to use it with SP1. An automatic update from Trend Micro should update the software.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users