Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screwy desktop in XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bta4912

bta4912

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

This feels really stupid, but I can no longer move the desktop icons for some weird reason. I've tried changing "themes" to no avail. It's as if something magically disappeared from whatever controls moving the icons around so the arrangement makes some sense. Anyone with an fix??? Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:45 PM

Hi bta4912, :thumbsup: to BC.

I am not totally sure what you mean by no longer move the desktop icons. Are you able to move them but they go back to the same place, or are you not able to move them at all?

Try right clicking on the desktop, go to Arrange Icons By and make sure Auto Arrange is not checked.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

If you mean they bounce back after you drag and drop , right click the desktop and un-check AUTO-ARRANGE . This will allow you to put them anywhere on the desktop . Hope this is what you needed .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 bta4912

bta4912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:16 PM

Nope, they don't bounce and auto-arrange is not enabled. When I left click on a desktop icon, it fades and it's "name" is highlighted but it cannot be dragged anywhere. Also, this may be irrelevant, but the exclaimation mark on my keyboard has decided not to work at all. All of the other keyboard symbols work as usual. ???????

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

Are you current on all of your antispyware and antivirus ? I would recommend you got to the HiJack This forum and post a HJT scan of your computer .
DO NOT EDIT the log after you scan and post . A HJT team member will assist you with the results .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users