Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Goes Weird When Playing Games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tomster

Tomster

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

hey guys, i have been having this problem for awhile now and cant seem to figure it out. I'll be playing a game on my PC and my computer will freeze, my monitor goes all weird and instead of showing what it should, my monitor, with lack of a better explanation, turns into one of those pictures where if u look at them long enough and out of focus, you see something. it doesnt actually turn into one of those pictures, but it makes a whole mish mash of colors and lines all across my screen. after that i cant do anything and have to turn off my computer by pressing the button on the tower. My video card is an ATI Radeon X800 xl, 256mb, pci express. My monitor is a ViewSonic 19 inch LCD screen with 2ms response time. My computer is an AMD athlon 64 X2 DualCore, processor is a 4200+. 250 gig hard drive, 2 gigs of ram. I gave those specs cuz i didnt know which ones u might need to know. If there is anything else u need to know ask me, otherwise i would very much apreciate some help, because i have no idea what to do. Could it have sometihng to do with my video card? or is it my monitor?

Thanks

-Tom

Edited by Tomster, 23 February 2008 - 01:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

I would check for dust build up inside the case and make sure all of your fans are working properly. This could be caused by overheating. You can also benchmark the video card by using PCwizard Found here.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

Can we assume this does not happen under normal, non-gaming use, and can we assume you have loaded the latest video card drivers?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Tomster

Tomster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

yeah, sorry, forgot to say that. It only happens when i am playing a game. and yes i have the latest drivers and updates for the card, i check frequently for new updates. I have already opened up and completely cleaned the inside, it was very dusty and i had hoped that that might be the problem, however not too long after cleaning it the same thing happened again, monitor screwed up like normal.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

Try Benchmarking the card and see how it fairs. The card may be going bad. How old is it?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:03 AM

Just wondering, is your power supply big enough? How big is your PSU? HERE is a link to find out how much power you need, if you don't know for sure... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users