Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ravepunk

ravepunk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:48 PM

i have a dell computer 2400 xp home edition, im having trouble playing a game and i need a new video card, the people at steam powered.com say that since dells have integrated gfx cards, i cant replace it, or i can but my computer wont be compatible with it please help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:57 AM

I haven't worked on a 2400 but in most instances of on-board video cards you can disable them in the system bios and then install a graphics card of your choice. You should look on your board for an AGP slot that will accept a new graphics card (it will be a brown slot). If you are unfamiliar with how to perform this you might want to have a computer shop do this for you.

Additioanlly, depending on whether the computer is still under warranty or not, opening the case and add/removing components usually voids the warranty. Your choice.

Cheers.

OT.
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

You might want to look around locally for your video card. Some companies may offer free installation as long as you purchase it from them.

As far as your computer not being 'allowed' to have your video card upgraded, it is unlikely. Most (OK, about 99%) of the newer computers have AGP and PCI slots. These are the ones you would use for your video card. In some Dell computers, they already install a video card in one of these slots. If this is the case, it would not show up as integrated.

Incidently, how much are you willing to spend?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 ravepunk

ravepunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

well ive alread found some cards at dell.com that will work that are a bout 50-70 bucks that will work fine, instead of buying those $400 ones

#5 ravepunk

ravepunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:17 PM

also for dell computers, you can only buy dell owned graphics cards so

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:20 PM

Anything from Dell, you can find elsewhere, for cheaper.
Just Google the product your interested in.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users