Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Xp Pro Of Dual Boot W/vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brain ache

brain ache

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hi all,
I'm struggling to complete the set up of the sound for the XP pro drive on a dual boot with Vista. The sound works fine with Vista.The motherboard is ASUS P5K and the audio is onboard Realtek.

In Device Manager>sound, video & game controllers there is the yellow ! at Audio Device on Hi def Audio Bus. General TAB has manufacturer-unknown. Location 65535[Internal Hi Def Audio] DEVICE STATUS says Not configured properly[code 1] Clicked on reinstall driver box and nothing happens.

DRIVER TAB-No information given for Driver provider, driver date, driver version

Clicked on driver details & box says--No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.
Tried to launch troubleshooter but nothing happened

DETAILS TAB--Device Instance ID-
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0883&SUBSYS_1043829F&REV_1000\4&196E0BAD&0&0001

Obviously, I have no idea what I just wrote down, but maybe it will help you tell me what to do.

Every time I boot into XP the new hardware wizard comes up and I have tried to use it to get this thing set up. When I explored my XP drive there are files for Realtek there, but I don't know how to tell what more I might need.

Thanks for reading through all of this, hope you can help!

Brainache
A tiny side question...are there any good books that address how to actually set up and use stuff on a dual boot system? Sorry I just couldn't help myself, I know I should have saved that question for another topic...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

The trick to setting up a dual boot is the dual boot - the rest is just setting up the OS as you normally do.

There are 22 models of the P5K mobo - one is just a plain old "P5K" so we'll go with that one for now.

Here's a link to the download page for your mobo: http://support.asus.com/download/download_...SLanguage=en-us

Click on the + sign by "Audio" to locate the drivers for your system.

I've occasionally noticed issues with systems that aren't fully patched by Windows Update - so ensure you visit Windows Update before and after the installation of the drivers to ensure that your High Definition Audio works as intended. For more information on this issue, visit this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 brain ache

brain ache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

The trick to setting up a dual boot is the dual boot - the rest is just setting up the OS as you normally do.

There are 22 models of the P5K mobo - one is just a plain old "P5K" so we'll go with that one for now.

Here's a link to the download page for your mobo: http://support.asus.com/download/download_...SLanguage=en-us

Click on the + sign by "Audio" to locate the drivers for your system.

I've occasionally noticed issues with systems that aren't fully patched by Windows Update - so ensure you visit Windows Update before and after the installation of the drivers to ensure that your High Definition Audio works as intended. For more information on this issue, visit this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

Thanks for the info. I did find the drivers on the asus site, but when I tried to download them, the download was corrupted. I'll try again...

Should I just delete any and all reference to realtek that is already on the F drive? I found about 25 folders in both F:/Windows and F:/Programs. There were lots, maybe about 100 files with KB8......including one KB888111(see above) but they were all TEXT files???

I also looked in the add/remove programs and found a listing for High Def Audio Driver pkg KB888111 It appeared to be installed, but no size was given The remove button appears active, but I didn't click it.

When I looked at the Microsoft site you recommended it referred to doing lots of things with the registry(?)that I'm not really comfortable with (especially since the link they gave for tech support was broken)... Could I avoid doing that stuff if I cleared everything pertaining to Realtek off of the F: drive and tried to start again with the original Asus disk?

I did download the latest Windows update....

Thanks for your help,
B Ache

#4 brain ache

brain ache
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

Thanks so much for your help! I successfully uninstalled the High Def Audio Driver pkg KB888111 that was in the add/remove program list and then downloaded and installed the driver for XP. Voila! Sound!

Less ache in the brain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users