Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scanreg

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wildchild1162

wildchild1162

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:45 PM

Hi all, wondering if once again you can help me out, I had some trouble with my computer last week after I ran my system file checker. My camera no longer works on it, my Norton won't do autoupdates and now when I go to do a scanreg it tells me "This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action, create one by clicking my computer; view and folder options" but does nothing :thumbsup: . Is there anyway I can undo what the system file checker did? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!
Wildchild

Tomorrow is a gift not a promise, so ride, live, love, laugh, and dance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:40 AM

You can't run scanreg from within Windows. Boot the computer and repeatadly press F8 as soon as the screen lights up until you see the black and white screen with the menu. Use the arrow keys to select command prompt only and press enter. At C:\> type scanreg /restore. You will be presented with a list of backups. Pick one with a date just before you ran sfc.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:33 AM

Good Morning Leurgy, when I did the scanreg/restore the only thing on there was from back in October, and I'm afraid to restore one of those because I had that about:blank back then. I used to be able to just hit run and then scanreg on my puter and it would do it. I have no idea what's going on with this darn thing :thumbsup: Any other suggestions?????? Thank you. By the way I'm running windows98me
Wildchild

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:48 AM

Hi wc

I guess a restore is not an option then.

By the way I'm running windows98me

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a hybrid or something. Better tell Bill Gates about that. Seriously though I'm guessing you meant 98SE.

When you run sfc and you find a corrupted file you are prompted to replace it with one that is on your 98 CD. When you do this you sometimes replace that corrupted file with a much earlier version of the same file. Your camera program, for example, may have updated that file when you installed it so now the earlier version is incompatible with your camera program. Windows may have seen your camera's version of some .dll or something as corrupted when in fact it was just altered for that program and thus only appears corrupted to windows.

You have two options here. Uninstall and reinstall the programs that are affected or go to C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc (this is where the replaced files are, ie the ones you want to put back) and move them back to where they came from. If you are asked if you want to overwrite the file that you are trying to put back say yes. This assumes you know where to put them back to.

Hope that is clear enough. Post back and let us know how you make out or if you have any more questions.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:53 PM

Hello, me again, sorry to be a pain and yes it is windowsse, when I run the windows/helpdesk/sfc, the sfc screen comes up but it is blank???????? It is driving me nuts :thumbsup:
Wildchild

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

Hi wc

You are certainly not being a pain. The reason we are both hanging around here is because you have a problem and I have an opportunity to help somebody.

Those are usually system files and as a result are hidden. Look at How to show hidden files in Windows.

#7 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:52 PM

Hi Leurgy, me again there is nothing there???????? :thumbsup:
Wildchild

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:50 AM

S'cuse me for butting in, but when you ran System File Checker, did it actually tell you that any files were corrupted? If not, it may have nothing to do with your problem . . .

#9 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:31 AM

Good Morning Herk, it did not say that any of them were corrupted but it did say it moved some, replaced some, etc., is there a log in my computer somewhere that shows me what it did...........the computer is working but it is just not the same :thumbsup: Thank you
Wildchild

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:53 AM

Hi wc

Just a suggestion but did you go to windows update after you ran system file checker? Some of the replaced files may have been ones that have been identified as vulnerable to an exploit of one kind or another.

and now when I go to do a scanreg it tells me "This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action

That is not a good error. Scanreg is a system file and does not need an association to be set. Can you go to Start>Find>Files and folders and do a search for scanreg.exe and scanregw.exe? When you find them right click and select properties. Post back with what you find out.

Can you open msconfig (Start>Run>msconfig), Internet options in IE or Control Panel?

#11 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:12 PM

Good afternoon Leurgy, when I go to find scanreg.exe all that shows is scanreg folder c:\win98 and scanreg c:/windows/command, there is no scanregw.exe and no scanreg.exe. Yes I can do msconfig and internet options, the puter is working but is just off on somethings, the last update windows did was an intel driver it said I needed but it did not load correctly and when I removed it and restarted the machine it told me something was missing in sys.ini, press any key to continue and then it goes ahead and loads. Darn that Bill Gates anyway :thumbsup: coming up with these home computers!! Thank you for taking the time to help me out, it is greatly appreciated. Any ideas on what I've done to my system? And how I can repair it??????
Wildchild

#12 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:18 PM

Me AGAIN, those scanreg's are exe files when I hit properties it just says application and selections are general; program; font; memory; screen; and misc. there is no scanregw though
Wildchild

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:46 PM

Scanregw is the file that checks your registry when you boot and will repair/restore it if needed. Scanreg is a file that allows you to do various things to your registry including fixing it.

Put your 98 CD in and open SFC and select Extract. Type in scanreg.exe. In Restore from browse to your CD. In Restore to put C:\Windows\Command. Say yes to backing it up if it asks and click OK all the way out. Go back to Extract and extract scanregw.exe and extract it to C:\Windows. Say OK to get back out again. Reboot your computer and press F8 as soon as the screen lights up until you get to a black and white screen with a menu. Use the arrow keys to select Command prompt only and press enter. When you get to C:\> type in "scanreg /fix" without the quotes. This will repair your registry without restoring it and hopefully solve your problem.

Failing that I think the best option here would be to run Windows setup and to do an over the top install of your OS. You won't lose any files or anything but it will rebuild your system files. You will then need to go to Windows update and download the necessary updates again.

Edited by Leurgy, 17 March 2005 - 04:49 PM.

#14 wildchild1162

wildchild1162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:01 PM

Hi Leurgy, I would love to do that except for one thing, guess what I have no CD, bought the computer secondhand and windows was already loaded. So I guess I'm stuck! Sure wish I was a rich person so I could actually buy a puter that comes with CD's, lol. Thank you for your help :thumbsup:
Wildchild

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

See if you have your windows cab files in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users