Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-link Wireless Usb Adapter Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kirkyboy

kirkyboy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hi,

I have installed a D-Link DWL-G122 wireless USB adaptor and shows as connected to my wireless network but there is no traffic. Can't access anything on internet and pinging to other PCs connected to the router gives timeout.

I can see it's IP address in my router settings so everything appears to be connecting OK.

Router is a Belkin F5D7231-4P.

I've tried installing it on 2 other PCs and get the same results.

Downloaded and installed latest version of D-Link drivers and setup.

I know this has been working. It is a friends computer and I have brought it to my house to look at because they were having some problems which may be connected. They were able to connect through a D-Link router but found that attachments to hotmail emails wouldn;t download but also significantly occasionally they would get the same as I am now experiencing all the time.

Any suggestions appreciated.

ChrisK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

Have you checked your full IP address configuration on your machine?

If you have another machine that is connected to the same network with a functional network / Internet connection, compare the IP address configuration information on both machines. By running the following command on both machines:

ipconfig /all

Make sure that one of the malfunctioning machine is not configured with an APIPA address, this will almost always result in Limited or No Connectivity.

Refer to this post about troubleshooting APIPA addresses and Limited or No Connectivity issues:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133029/ip-address-problem/

If you discover that you are working with an APIPA address which is affecting network connectivity via the USB WiFi adapter, you can switch the device from a DHCP (Automatically assigned) IP address to a Static (Manually configured) IP address and test connectivity. There are instructions on how to do so in the post above or the following post as well:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133791/ip-address-conflict/

Research it and post feedback for additional advice.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 kirkyboy

kirkyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've checked the IP configuration and it doesn't seem to be that APIPA is the cause of the problem.
Installed an older driver from D-Link and thought initially that the problem was resolved as I was able to get connectivity however I found that I was back to the original fault which was most apparent when Hotmail attachments wouldn't download.
Tried the D-Link USB wirelss adapter on 2 other machines which all gave the same results. All 3 of them were previously able to get full connectivity using either PCMCIA or PCI cards
I came to the conclusion that it must be the D-Link USB wireless adapter which is faulty. Purchased a Linksys PCI wireless card, installed and set up it, wirless connection working straight away. Does seem very strange though that the D-Link worked in a limited fashion.

Thanks again

ChrisK

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

New hardware is always a viable workaround.

D-Link products are usually pretty reliable, i have used them myself in the past and they have been successful. But this is not always the case with every network configuration, sometimes different hardware devices don't play nicely together.

If you have the budget to do so, sometimes all you need to fix a network problem is to get hardware from a different vendor and test the results. I'm always in favor of finding the easiest solution, often times it is easier to simply swap out malfunctioning hardware with new working hardware. Sometimes there are configuration settings which interfere with hardware performance.

Sounds like this situation called for swapping out the hardware since it was exhibiting the same behavior on different computer systems.

Good to hear you got yourself back online again.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users