The associated hardware and drivers are:
- Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop.
- Operating system: WindowsXP Pro, SP2
- Sound device: Analog Devices SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.
- Sound driver ver. 18.104.22.16828, 11/4/2002, from Analog Devices.
- Video adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
- Video driver ver. 22.214.171.12480, 2/13/2003, from ATI Technologies.
- At times the sound stops working altogether.
- To recover sound, the laptop must be powered down, not just rebooted.
- While watching either a DVD or a movie stored on my HD, the sound will become scratchy, distorted, or otherwise noisy.
- When a noisy video is paused, there is a loud whining sound.
- The same happens while listening to music stored on my HD. At times, the music will sound like it is being played from a cassette tape that has been stretched.
- It makes no difference whether using built in speakers or a headset.
- Removed and reinstalled sound drivers from Toshiba's tech support web site.
- Removed and reinstalled Video drivers from Toshiba's tech support web site.
- Ran Memtest86 3.4a for several passes, looking for bad RAM.
Thanks in advance
Edited by tfarrow, 23 February 2008 - 12:25 PM.