Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Installed, Giving Problems With Excel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anirudh215

anirudh215

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

I have recently installed Vista onto my computer. After reading a bit I found what the [compatibility mode] sign meant on top. But now a problem rears up.
Whenever I try to save a file after a bit of editing, it says[Note:F:\ is the name of the drive the .xls file is found in].

"Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file 'F:\'. There are several posible reasons: 1.The file path does not exist 2.The file is being used by another program 3.The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook."

I am the Admin and only user on this comp so I have access so that can't be the reason. If I try changing the name and saving as a different file it says

"F:\changed filename.xls
You do not have permission to save in this location.
Contact the Administrator to obtain permission.

Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?" :huh:

If I try to update it to Excel 2007 format, it says

"Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file 'F:\Some random number and letter mix'. There are several posible reasons: 1.The file path does not exist 2.The file is being used by another program 3.The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook."

Could you please tell me what is wrong?

Anirudh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

What device is located at F: ? The system is telling you that you don't have the rights to use that location.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 anirudh215

anirudh215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

What device? F:\ is just another hardrive. It was saving all along in XP.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

Have you taken ownership of the files on the drive? If the drive uses NTFS, the permissions to access those files may be restricted to the profile that you're using on XP. I'd suggest taking ownership of those files and giving everyone "read" access to them.

You can take ownership by right clicking on the drive and selecting "Properties", then select the Security tab, then the Advanced button, then the Owner tab, then the Edit button - then assign ownership to your profile (and make sure that the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" is checked.

After exiting this dialog, you'll be able change the permissions (from the Vista installation) to allow "Users" from the XP installation to access the info.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 anirudh215

anirudh215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:57 AM

Not working. I'm still getting the same message when trying to save..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users