Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using External Hdd Case With Old Hdd - Not Working With Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yillup

Yillup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:52 AM

I have bought a new computer and am attepting to connect my previous HDD to it using a HDD external case with USB cable. When I connected it to my new computer running Vista, it informed me it had found the drivers and it was ready to use. The HDD did not appear in the "computer" view though.

I have reconnected the USB cable a few times. The first time I reconnected it went through the driver search again and told me the device was ready to use, but every subsequent time it has just made the "ding dong" connection noise.

I have looked in the device manager and it appears in there (as Generic Void Disk USB Device), but when I ask it to "populate" the "volumes" section in it's properties it tells me it's unreadable.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

Download the diagnostic utility from the mfg of the hard drive and see if it is damaged. If you have a spare USB cable around, you could try that
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

If it's an IDE drive in the enclosure, you may have to change the jumper settings (Master, Slave, or Cable Select) in order to get it to work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Yillup

Yillup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for that. Changed the jumper and it works fine now!

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

I can never figure out what jumper setting to use (I don't need no steenkin' instructions! :thumbsup:
So I just fuss with the jumpers until it works (if it doesn't work, then the drive is likely dead).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

LOL...I now read the instructions, after a series of irritations last year because I failed to do so :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

I've destroyed my fair share of stuff because of that habit - but it gives a bit of spice to my otherwise drab and dull life (I was a Combat Engineer, a Master Parachutist, and a Pathfinder in the Army).

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

You have my respect, sir :huh:. I hope you don't have back problems (as so many do).

I was a member of the oft-despised Intelligence community....you know the contradiction stated between "military" and "intelligence" :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

Since I hijacked this thread, I'll take this opportunity to send you a PM rather than hijack it any further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users