Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Passwords Gone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

Today when I went to check my E-Mail and my password did not get entered automatically so I checked my password list and all but one has vanished. This is the first time I have used my computer today and I haven't done anything that would cause this. I was wondering if anyone knew the file that FF stores passwords in so I could check that because when I reentered the password it did not prompt me to remember it. I am using Firefox 3 Beta 1 and my OS is Ubuntu Linux 7.10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hi JacksonT,

Hum...? I don't know if you're going to get an answer to that question here or not as telling you how to find that password file would be tantamount to helping you crack someone else's online accounts.

I would suggest un-installing, then re-installing FireFox, unless there's a repair option for it in the add\remove programs thingy.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 JacksonT

JacksonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

Well I half expected to not get an answer to my first question. Does anyone know if there is a way to recover a password? or to see a log of what changes have been made to FF setting or stored items

Edited by JacksonT, 25 February 2008 - 01:58 PM.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hi JacksonT

Does anyone know if there is a way to recover a password?

I hate to tell you this but I doubt that anyone is going to be answering that question either as to answer it would be giving you, or anyone else reading this thread, the information needed to bypass someones computer security.

You could try contacting Mozilla and seeing if they will give you any information on what to do to get them back... if that's even possiable.

I do find it kind of strange that all but one of your saved passwords has disappeared though. Hum...? As my FF seems to have gone a bit mental here of late I need to ask; when you opened your password list, did you run your mouse over the page?

They might still be there but not visible until you mouse over them, kind of like what's happening to me in the drop down menu on my Google toolbar.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users