Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Share Files Between Computers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Soundnick

Soundnick

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

For some reason, I have never been able to figure this out. It seems as if I should be all set-up for this process, and I think I already am.

I have a router in which me, and my parents computers are ran through (hard-wired). I want to simply be able to share files between computers. I believe I am already set-up to do so because from my computer I can use the printer that is hooked up to their computer. However, I just cannot figure out how to share files. I have made new folders and then set them up for sharing and all of that, but I cannot find them on the other computer. Theres gotta be a simple solution... right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

Are all computers in the same workgroup.
On the MyComputer properties, where you name a computer, there's also a question about naming a workgroup.
A computer can be a member of many workgroups, but to share, those allowed to share have to be members of the same named workgroup.

If you use a firewall, is the entire LAN range permitted.
If you don't use dynamic addresses, make sure every computer has a different address.

Try this, and if it still doesn't work, next step will be to review user rights, services and your TCP/IP settings.

I believe in XP-home only Guest accounts can share. Do you permit them?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

As a test, put some of the files in the Shared Documents folder on one of the computers - can you see them on the other systems?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Soundnick

Soundnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

Are all computers in the same workgroup.
On the MyComputer properties, where you name a computer, there's also a question about naming a workgroup.
A computer can be a member of many workgroups, but to share, those allowed to share have to be members of the same named workgroup.

If you use a firewall, is the entire LAN range permitted.
If you don't use dynamic addresses, make sure every computer has a different address.

Try this, and if it still doesn't work, next step will be to review user rights, services and your TCP/IP settings.

I believe in XP-home only Guest accounts can share. Do you permit them?

Yeah, they are both in the same workgroup. I don't believe there is a firewall, at least I know I didn't install one. I'm not positive, but I think we have different adresses

As a test, put some of the files in the Shared Documents folder on one of the computers - can you see them on the other systems?

I tried this a while ago... one I set it up for sharing, where do I go to find it on the other computer?

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

I don't understand your last question, so let me ask you these two questions instead -

On computer-A you have a directory that can be shared, correct?
From computer-B you want to reach that directory that's is on Computer-A, correct?

If yes and yes, then
Use Windows Explorer to navigate to Network Neighborhood or whatever that's called.
You're likely see three entries, the middle one will be called Microsoft Networks.
Open it up.
You should see a directory refering to a workgroup, whatever you called it.
When you open that up, you should see the directory from Computer-A that's shared.
If computer-B also has some directories that are shared, you will see both.

Alternative: use url instead. You can type, in the address bar, something like \\Computer-A\MySharedThings.

Can you ping one computer from the other? Are the connections really working?

#6 lwchapman

lwchapman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

This may resolve your problem.

I have 5 computers and two printers (one hardwired and one wireless) on a wireless home network (combination of desktop and laptop). I purchased a program called Network Magic ($49.99 + $10 [I think] for up to 5 computers. Each computer must have the program installed on it. I believe they have a 30 day, money back trial period). You can find them at www.networkmagic.com. Once installed, it scanned my network and detected all of my hardware including the hard wired printer. You need to have all turned on for the initial scan.

After that, you simply go to the computer or computers that you want to share files with and using their simple wizard, you can then share all the files and printers you want. This will not work for application programs. The program also locks out intruders and allows you to enable encryption for data going through the router. Plus a few more handy options and utilities. I am not affiliated with the company in any shape, way or form. I have been using their program for over a year and find it very helpful.

I hope you find this useful.

Regards, Larry

#7 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

Ok. So we know that we are working with a group of Windows XP systems networked via ethernet LAN in a workgroup. Therefore, if you want to locate what other computers are online in your WORKGROUP on your LAN connection, let's try using the tools in our local machine.

We want to get to Network Places window so we can see who's out there in our WORKGROUP that is connected and find out if and where they are sharing Files or Folders.

The quickest way to get a visual:

Start >> My Computer >> click My Network Places >> click the Folders button >>

This will get us to the portion of the OS where you can hunt for other machines hardlined or softlined into your local network. By clicking the "Folders" button you reveal the file system tree view so you can navigate folders and files in a relational manner. Under '"My Network Places" in the file system tree, navigate to "Entire Network", then navigate to "Microsoft Windows Network," then navigate to the appropriate workgroup; in this case WORKGROUP.

Once you have your workgroup highlighted, you should be able to see what machines are online. You should also be able to highlight a specific machine and click to expand and view all "Shared Docs" on that machine.

Once you have navigated to the correct page, you should be able to locate the following information:
SharedDocs folder on Local Machine (your machine)
Other machines connected within the workgroup
Shared Printers and Faxes on other machines connected within the workgroup

If you go to My Network Places on each computer in the workgroup, you can then know where you need to save Files and Folders which you want to share over the workgroup: SharedDocs on %computername% where %computername% is the name of your machine.

Make sure that if you are attempting to share documents over the workgroup, you want to save them in "SharedDocs" or created a shortcut to them and saved the shortcut in "SharedDocs" in order to get to shared files on a workgroup networked computer.

I would start there, see what you can see when you have multiple machines connected to your workgroup.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users