Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Screen Saver Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

I have an XP OS on a PC and have an interesting issue regarding the Screen Saver.

I have the screen saver pointing to a folder containing a group of family photos which I have in an order I wish to have displayed. When the screen saver 'kicks in', the photos are displayed in random order.

I would like to arrange to have them displayed in the order they are stored in the folder.

Can I do this and how?

Thanks.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:17 AM

Hi polaris6,

I just went scurrying through my settings and I didn't see anything that would allow me to set the order... I think randomness is the order of the day, though it would sound logical that you should be able to set 'my pictures slide show' to show stuff in the order of your choosing.

Maybe there is a seperate utility that would allow you to do what you're trying to do,

Good Luck,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:45 AM

Undoubtedly...there is a 3d-party application out there that will do that sort of thing.

Google is your friend...

Louis

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:42 AM

Hi polaris6,

Hey dude... do I get paid extra if this works?

This one looks like some instructions --> http://www.fourmilab.ch/slidescr/ and this one looks like the program that you need to go with those instructions --> http://www.freewaresite.com/screensavers/slideshow.html

[EDITED:] Oh and Microsoft has a PowerToy called 'SlidshowPowerToy' that might work for what you want to do... and it's free too but I forgot how to get to the darned thing so I can't give you a link to it. [2ND EDIT:] OK I just downloaded, installed, and tried out the utility from the top link and that bugger works pretty good. It also has the option to set it to either random or alphabetical. As my pics aren't listed by ABC's I don't know if that part works or not. I think that bottom link may be a pay thing too.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 24 February 2008 - 04:02 AM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:27 AM

I found the first link recommendation independently yesterday and it seems to work and has the option to display the photos serially and in order.

Is the 'Walker' who wrote that program related to you?

Yes...you get paid extra in bennies...you won't have to 'work' on Sunday this week.

Thanks for your help. You have confirmed that there is 'nothing' available in Windows that permits the presentation of those screensaver pictures to be changed from (what appears to be) random. However, it appears that Vista has that option. This seems odd that the default is random, since it takes some extra code for that to occur, compared to having them presented serially. I would have thought that the serial presentation would be easier to 'write'. Oh well, the Microsoft mentality.

Thanks again.

polaris6

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

Hi polaris6

*doing little happy dance over not having to work Sunday* Good, glad to hear that you have gotten things to work the way that you want them to. Hum...? I haven't a clue as to who wrote that program so the best I can say is 'I don't know if we're kin'.

See you later,

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users