Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is a safe place to download adadware

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 paras

paras

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:57 PM

could some one please tell me a safe place to download adadware
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:48 PM

Here is where I download it from. The site is safe.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:48 AM

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Lists mirror sites for downloading. You are very wise to check the original source before downloading from a secondary site.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:35 AM

Major Geeks is an authorized affiliate of Lavasoft.

Edited by Ronbo, 13 March 2005 - 02:38 AM.

#5 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:56 AM

I recommend you download, install, update & run both Adaware SE & Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3. Have both programs fix any problems found & see if the problem is resolved. HTH :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:21 AM

Add MicroSoft AntiSpyware Beta1 also . I have had great luck with it .
Adware SE 1.5 and Spybot S&D 1.3 .
I like Download.com which is run by Cnet .
I have been using it for years .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 04:26 AM

paras, both bear and acklan are correct about the programs they recommend. Ad-aware and Spybot S&D should be a part of your computers protection.You would do well to add Spywareblaster as well: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

You should also have a good anti-virus and firewall installed as well.

Add I like Download.com which is run by Cnet .
I have been using it for years .
acklan

The reason I send to people to Major Geeks over Download.com is because of the 95 items for anti spyware that Cnet lists for download, 28 of them are listed on the Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites compiled by Eric Howes.
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

That is 29.5% of the products that Download.com has to offer for download put people at a known risk. Of that 28, four have been delisted (but still remain on the list as reminders of what they were) which lowers the percentage to 25%, but I would still not trust those delisted products. Major Geeks has only three products out of 66 that fall on that list for 4.5% that are known risks.

While neither is perfect in this regards, I would rather send people where they are less likely to put the wrong garbage on their computers and end up here looking for help.

I do trust both sites to not add any surprises in their download packages, and would feel safe downloading the software at either site, I just don't like the odds that Download.com presents to unwary and uninformed people to download something they are going to regret.

Major Geeks is an Authorized Affiliate of Lavasoft, but I don't understand with these kind of percentages, why they use Download.com as their main download site. $$$ maybe?

Edit: added link to spywareblaster.

Edited by Ronbo, 13 March 2005 - 04:49 AM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:43 AM

Thanks Ronbo . Try AVG Free Edition for your antivirus . You do get a little more if you pay for it , but in my opinion beat Norton or MacAfee , both of which I find cause as many problems as they solve .

acklan

#9 paras

paras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:45 AM

well....u guys u see.... i had bought a new dell computer and then, i didnt even know about WHAT WAS SPYWARE?! then i got into a big problem and had to reformat my computer sice it wasnt really protected..........right now i have spybot S&D, Spysweeper, Microsoft antispyware beta, and i am now going to get ad-aware.....i also have norton 2003...my computer came with nortorn 2004..but i didnt install it back after i formated my computer because it hade norotrn interent security and it was basically impossibe to work with it,, it was tooo much and had pop ups all the time about security and it was very annoying so i got rid of it....and have nortorn 2003
Posted Image

#10 paras

paras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

i am downloading spyware blaster from majorgeeks and it is quite slow
Posted Image

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:26 PM

Don't forget about aČ Free - aČ is a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.

You might also want to submit a HijackThis log.
This way, you can eliminate the possibility of being infected with any spyware/malware.
Then with all of your security programs in place, you'll have a nice clean computer to work/play with.

Then it will be up to you, to keep it clean.
With your security programs:
Use the latest versions.
Keep them updated.
Run them on a regular basis (once a week, for me).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 paras

paras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:42 PM

right now i have spybot, spysweeper, ad aware, microsoft antispyware beta,and norotn 2003, and spwareblaster....isnt that enuff
Posted Image

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:08 PM

My opinion, no such thing as enough.

The internet, isn't a very friendly place.
There's some real nasties out there.
Read a few of the old HijackThis log posts, here

Just my opinion.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:13 PM

Enough is relative . Since no one product can protect you you need to paly with the different product out there .
I run MS AntiSpyware beta , Adware SE, Spybot S&D ,and AVG free in that order and am able to remove 99%+ of spyware , virus , trogans ,......
Others use different products , but the point is YES you need several products to meet and defeat the threats .

acklan

#15 paras

paras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:23 PM

a good point made by tg911..... there is no such thing as enough... i still believe now that i am rid of 99% of spyware from my computer...thanks to all that now i have a lot of protection....
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users