Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn Windows Features On Or Off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

Hello Everyone!

I am back again with another question for you. While I was looking up something for one of my other questions I have on here, I saw this feature: "Turn Windows features on or off". So I decided to see what it was about. And when I clicked on it A new window came up with a lot of things that I do not know about. They are the features that are available on Windows.

The features that are listed are as follows: Games,Indexing service, Internet Information Services, Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0, Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ) Server, Print Services, Remote Differential Compression, Removable Storage Management, RIP Listener, Simple TCPIP Services (i.e. echo, daytime etc), SNMP Feature, Tablet PC Optional Components, Telnet Client, Telnet Server, TFTP Client, Windows DFS Replication Service, Windows Meeting Space, Windows Process Activation Service.

The Games, Remote Differential Compession, Tablet PC Optional Components, Windows DFS Replication Service, And Windows Meeting Space, Are checked. Meaning that they are turned on. Under Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0, There are 3 sub areas, and they are: Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation, Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation, And XPS Viewer. The XPS Viewer is checked, meaning it is turned on. Under Print Services there are 3 sub areas, they are: Internet Printing Client, LPD Print Service, and LPR Port Monitor. With Internet Printing Client checked, Meaning it is turned on.

Most of the others I do not think I will need or might need to turn on. But would like to get someone with much more computer knowledge than I have, to help me decide which ones to either: turn on, leave off, leave on, or to turn off.

Some of these I know I will not need to turn on. But the others I am not too sure about.

Sincerely,
Matthew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

Each person is different, and your needs with your computer are different - so this is just what I do on my system and may not be appropriate for yours.

I uncheck:
Games
Indexing Service
Remote Differential Compression
Tablet PC Optional Components
Windows Meeting Space

But I haven't made a great study of this - so it may be to your advantage to research each issue before turning them off (for example, if you've got a Tablet PC - then the Tablet PC components may be nice to have).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users