Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Dvd R/rw No Longer Works.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dang_It

Dang_It

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:11 PM

And I do know why. I mistakenly clicked on it when using the 'Safely remove hardware..' program and never removed it. I didn't realize this was a problem until I went to burn a DVD and the computer wasn't recognizing it.

When I go to the Device Manager, there is a yellow exclamation point next to it and it says,

Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

Which I've done again and again with no change. Is there some magic fix all out there for this?

TIA for any help here.

Forgot to add that I am using Windows XP.

Edited by Dang_It, 22 February 2008 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

Have you rebooted the computer between disconnecting the external dvd burner? I have to do that with my usb drive or plug it into a different set of slots?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Dang_It

Dang_It
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

I have, but just tried it again now and used different usb ports and got this message.

"USB Device Not Recognized.

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

Not promising.. Thanks for trying though :thumbsup:

Edited by Dang_It, 22 February 2008 - 09:48 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

I would uninstall or remove the enhanced host controller from device manager with the drive disconnected, then reboot

after it's found it again I would then reboot again

then connect up the drive, sounds like you have hosed windows, give it some time

I have had some of these problems working on badly overloaded and neglected computers

what about safe mode, my usb drives work there?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Dang_It

Dang_It
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

I tried it in safe mode and it didn't work, but when I restarted back into normal mode, there was no yellow exclamation point in the device manager but it still wasn't working.

I then went looking for a driver via google and found someone who had a similar problem. All they did was disconnect the power cord, reconnect and voila. That is what worked for me. Very frustrating that it never occurred to me at all, but what can you do? lol

Thank you for the help and your time :thumbsup:

Edited by Dang_It, 23 February 2008 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users