Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With C: Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hermione Weasley

Hermione Weasley

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:33 PM

For the longest time I've had this problem with my C: Drive...I kind of waved it away at that time not bothering to really figure out what the problem was, but now it's just annoying me.

Everytime I go into my C drive an error pops up "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" and then I'll have to close it. My other drives on my computer work fine, even the 'My Documents' section and 'My Pictures' . It won't close on those..it only has that error popping up in my C drive.

If I was quick enough I'd be able to say..click 'program files' (in the C drive) and go into my Adobe folder to add brushes or something in there..and the error wont show.

It's become annoying to have to quickly cut a file from my C drive and bring it over to my other drive just to use it...

One time it had the DrWatson bug pop up right after the first one and at that time I went into safemode and got rid of that..

My brother is usually the one I go to for these problems, but he's a bit fed up with all my computer problems in the past and always being the one to fix it. His suggestion was to reformat (that's something that I really don't want to do, but I may have to..)

I thought it was a virus before, I did scans and stuff but that didn't do anything and now I'm beginning to think it might be an error in the drive...
I'm not the greatest with computers..in fact they always tend to fall apart on me..I'm like a bad luck bug..but I'm just wondering if maybe someone has had this problem before, or if anyone thinks it is an error in the drive and really my best bet would be to reformat?...

Any kind of help is great,
thanks
-Lisa
~Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gryphonic

Gryphonic

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hi Lisa, I am presuming OS is on C:
If you have 1/2 hr try a windows repair, using the install disk in your optical drive at boot up and .....press any key to boot from cd

Try this tutorial if unsure.... http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Oh and don't worry you should not lose any data

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Is your c drive getting full(you need a few gigs free)? Is it badly fragmented? Have you done an error check?

Whatever fixes you attempt should probably done from safe mode, have you removed excess programs?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Hermione Weasley

Hermione Weasley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

Hi Lisa, I am presuming OS is on C:
If you have 1/2 hr try a windows repair, using the install disk in your optical drive at boot up and .....press any key to boot from cd

Try this tutorial if unsure.... http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Oh and don't worry you should not lose any data

Thank you! That sounds like a good idea, it wont hurt to try!

Is your c drive getting full(you need a few gigs free)? Is it badly fragmented? Have you done an error check?

Whatever fixes you attempt should probably done from safe mode, have you removed excess programs?

My C drive is pretty full, that's why tonight I've been deleting unnecessary programs etc.

How would I know if it was badly fragmented...? Everything was fine before and then those error messages started popping up..
..and how would I do an error check? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm a new learner when it comes to computers.

What I have done is gone in safe mode and scanned for viruses and adaware..other than that I had no idea what else I could do.

Thank you so much you guys for replying back
~Lisa

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

Your drive is badly fragmented and probably has some errors

in my computer if you right click on your C drive and select properties and then tools

the error checking will probably give you an error and you will have to let it do it on startup after a reboot, do that first then
after you have at least 25% of your drive free attempt a defrag(all of this in safe mode)

hopefully it will finish overnight

you should do a defrag every few weeks, I have had to reload a computer or two when they got too badly fragmented

see what data you can save, you might lose all of it

attempting a repair on a drive that's badly fragmented and running out of free space might even make things worse

Edited by DaChew, 22 February 2008 - 11:22 PM.

Chewy

#6 Hermione Weasley

Hermione Weasley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:26 PM

Okay, so I did what you said and the problem is still there...

I'm thinking that all that's left is reformatting. Do you know though, if I reformat will the problem go away? I think my computer is really just done..I'm saving up for a new laptop. I'm just wondering though until I get a new computer if I reformat will it be any better? At least until I get a new comp?
~Lisa

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

if you have fixed file system errors, and defragged and have a few gigs of free space and have backed up any critical data running a windows cd as a repair disk would be the next step short of a clean install

there's nothing wrong with a clean install, you lose everything tho, but that works as long as it's not a hardware problem
Chewy

#8 Hermione Weasley

Hermione Weasley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

Okay, good. Thank you so much for all the help! :thumbsup:
~Lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users