Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Expanding A Vista Partition Problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Freway01

Freway01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

I have one drive that has three partitions (Vista Bus, Vista x86, & Vista x64) that I can boot from. When I originally created them I made the Vista x64 partition a lot larger then I needed to and the Vista x86 smaller then I should have.

With service pack 1 coming out in the next few weeks, I wanted to increase the size of my Vista x86 partition so I booted my system to one of the partitions I wasn't trying to adjust then, using the 'Disk Management' tool in Vista, I was able to shrink the Vista x64 partition by 23GB. When I try to extend the Vista x86 partition, the 'Extend Volume' option is grayed out.

I then opened 'Diskpart' in a command prompt window and tried extending it by 20GB that way but that tells me there not enough available space on the drive even though both the Disk Management and Diskpart utilities tell me I've got 23GB of free space.

What do I need to do to add the free space to my Vista x86 partition? I've attached a screen shot of what the disk allocation looks like in Disk Management.
Attached File  Disk_Management.rtf   390.44KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users